Discuss I have to admit something..... and I'm a little embarrassed... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've just signed up to a DIY plumbing taster course!

There, I've said it.

I've gone through 2 customers water heating pipes over the years and the next time (arghh, tempting fate!) I'll fix the damn thing myself!

I'm actually quite looking forward to it :)

Bloody hell you'll do anything to get a reaction.
I mean Plumbing, pull the other one :eek:

I've just signed up to a DIY plumbing taster course!

There, I've said it.

I've gone through 2 customers water heating pipes over the years and the next time (arghh, tempting fate!) I'll fix the damn thing myself!

I'm actually quite looking forward to it :)

I think this is great. Up-skilling is good and it means you will be able to carry out those little plumbing jobs that the customer finds it irritating to go to two trades for like water heaters.

We are in the process of up-skilling our guys to install and maintain AC systems.

I think this is great. Up-skilling is good and it means you will be able to carry out those little plumbing jobs that the customer finds it irritating to go to two trades for like water heaters.

We are in the process of up-skilling our guys to install and maintain AC systems.
Including the F-Gas side?

Yep - 10 day course all in. One day a week.

Generally AC guys cannot install power supplies and their tray works is an abortion so this should be cost neutral pretty quickly.
Nearly did the F-Gas myself but the business imploded, you and your guys will find it very useful.

I think I'm having an itch again!!!

6 years ago I started the electrics after getting a bit disillusioned with nursing.

You have to make a few changes every now and then don't you otherwise you become stagnant.

I've tried a few different things including teaching scuba diving on the Great barrier reef, a cleaner in an abattoir and a bit of busking. Now it's time to fix my toilet :)

Plumbing’s easy peasy! The pipes fill themselves up with water!

I once changed an ancient Elson tank in my grandma’s house when I was 20. I remember the electrician I was working with at the time had done a few houses up and was quite skilled in other trades...I asked him some advice on changing this tank......his words were “well if a daft plumber can do it!”

Funny you mention plumbing its on my list after the decent fire alarm courses. I did a plastering 7 day course last year so I can do a half decent job on small repairs after chasing etc... still get a proper plasterer to do the big jobs. find they are quicker and i could earn more doing something else.

I do a bit of everything (including plumbing and building and find variety is the spice of life) both my Dad and brother in law were plumbers and I spent most of my school hols being a plumbers mate. I quite enjoy it and to be honest it isn't that taxing, however if you are going to dabble make sure your Pli covers it, as when it goes wrong it is normally spectacular!;-)

Fair play,fella,no such thing as "fully" qualified :)

I was lucky to have a mates grandad,start me off,with the plumbing staples...wiping joints,soldering,principles of hydro dynamics,including one i have used loads - gravity systems.

I fitted my first solid fuel back boiler,at fifteen years old:rolleyes: and have just purchased me second Surefire2,and done a rake of pipe work on me own house.

The interesting fact,about plumbers,is that they were required at one time,to do ALL lead work. So lead burning (welding) chimney aprons,valleys,flashing,etc,were all part of the trade.

You sure appreciate the ease of use,of Fischer fixings and modern adhesives,if you have ever done vertical lead sidings,fixed with masonry dovetails,using lead-dots.

I would say the greatest benefit,of learning the ways of a new trade,is knowing if an individual purporting to be a professional in that trade,is on top of his job.
It also means you gain a fresh and deserved respect,for those who are good at their trade.

I have posted this one before,but here it is again...
I was on a job years back,where this "plumber" was installing a complete heating system,in a property being refurbed and extended.

There were pipes running everywhere when we landed,and i extended the hand of friendship,introduced meself,by saying "so,you
must be the plumber?...."

The dude had a proper fit...."I'm not a plumber...mate...I'm a heating engineer...." Real upset...spent the nest week sulking and practising his frosty look...

He started filling the system,and oh dear...it was like the evacuation scene,in Alien...like the wetting jets,on a dry-ski slope...all over the place...:eek:

I seen his desperate,futile panicking,and chose the opportunity to deliver this line..."What you need my friend,is a plumber!" :cool::cool:

Fair play,fella,no such thing as "fully" qualified :)

I was lucky to have a mates grandad,start me off,with the plumbing staples...wiping joints,soldering,principles of hydro dynamics,including one i have used loads - gravity systems.

I fitted my first solid fuel back boiler,at fifteen years old:rolleyes: and have just purchased me second Surefire2,and done a rake of pipe work on me own house.

The interesting fact,about plumbers,is that they were required at one time,to do ALL lead work. So lead burning (welding) chimney aprons,valleys,flashing,etc,were all part of the trade.

You sure appreciate the ease of use,of Fischer fixings and modern adhesives,if you have ever done vertical lead sidings,fixed with masonry dovetails,using lead-dots.

I would say the greatest benefit,of learning the ways of a new trade,is knowing if an individual purporting to be a professional in that trade,is on top of his job.
It also means you gain a fresh and deserved respect,for those who are good at their trade.

I have posted this one before,but here it is again...
I was on a job years back,where this "plumber" was installing a complete heating system,in a property being refurbed and extended.

There were pipes running everywhere when we landed,and i extended the hand of friendship,introduced meself,by saying "so,you
must be the plumber?...."

The dude had a proper fit...."I'm not a plumber...mate...I'm a heating engineer...." Real upset...spent the nest week sulking and practising his frosty look...

He started filling the system,and oh dear...it was like the evacuation scene,in Alien...like the wetting jets,on a dry-ski slope...all over the place...:eek:

I seen his desperate,futile panicking,and chose the opportunity to deliver this line..."What you need my friend,is a plumber!" :cool::cool:
Ahhhhh but was the water hot peg?

Reply to I have to admit something..... and I'm a little embarrassed... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net