Discuss I have to admit something..... and I'm a little embarrassed... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Good on you HHD :)

I had my first plumbing calamity a couple of weeks ago, put the pilot drill of my hole saw through a heating pipe :)

Thankfully the place is undergoing major work so it wasn't too much of a disaster. A couple of Hep2O fittings and a short length of pipe later, problem solved.

Good on you HHD :)

I had my first plumbing calamity a couple of weeks ago, put the pilot drill of my hole saw through a heating pipe :)

Thankfully the place is undergoing major work so it wasn't too much of a disaster. A couple of Hep2O fittings and a short length of pipe later, problem solved.
Did you mend it yourself SC?

Did you mend it yourself SC?

Yes... cut a piece of the floor out, went down to ScrewFix and picked up some Hep2O pipe and fittings and a 22mm pipe slice and just cut the damaged section out and replaced it.

Then spent some time trying to re-pressurise the system only to find the client hadn't turned the water on fully :)

interesting about plumbers doing everything to do with lead, after all it's in the name! Nowadays roofers do the lead work on chimneys, and plumbers are using plastic...

And the main thing is good on you OP for learning a new skill, I always say the day I don't learn anything is the day I died, learning is addictive and not much is hard once you put your mind to it. Plus it's been proven to keep your "brain age" lower if you're constantly progressing in new skills. The real question is why isn't everyone doing it? ;)

Diversify and Conquer!
My Van says :- Joinery Plumbing Mechanical Electrical - I always say "Im not a plumber but I do plumbing." - As far as I know there has been no fatalities due to bad plumbing so I'm thinking I'll be fairly safe!
(Someone will, no doubt, now post the article which will undo my above statement.)

Diversify and Conquer!
My Van says :- Joinery Plumbing Mechanical Electrical - I always say "Im not a plumber but I do plumbing." - As far as I know there has been no fatalities due to bad plumbing so I'm thinking I'll be fairly safe!
(Someone will, no doubt, now post the article which will undo my above statement.)
safe as in no fatalities from drowned customers due to bad plumbing, but wide open to a mad axeman for flooding his kitchen.

Diversify and Conquer!

Sadly,not true. There are plenty of documented investigations,and subsequent convictions,where injuries and fatalities have occurred,as a direct result of bad design,workmanship,or plain fraud.
Damage and modification of other systems,by plumbing activities,leading to explosion (flash overs),catastrophic failure of hot water storage tanks,above sleeping areas,etc.

Not to mention fatalities during work,where poor practice or judgement,by a plumber,has been the reason for injury or death.

In my opinion,a plumber who does not put an adequate vent,or bypasses a troublesome immersion stat cut-out,is providing the identical risks,as a spark who leaves a troublesome circuit,without RCD protection,on a board change.

Both are done regularly,and may not give an issue,for decades... then,one day,there is a blockage or a spillage :tophat::tophat::tophat::tophat:

Anyone tell me who's wearing them hats? ;)

I'm sure there was a case a year or two ago where some elbow was fluxed but forgotten to solder, then a couple of years later it eventually popped open and filled the house with gas with fatal results. The engineer who did the work was taken to trial and convicted and sentenced as the work was negligent and dangerous with ultimately the disastrous conclusion.

I do a bit of everything (including plumbing and building and find variety is the spice of life) both my Dad and brother in law were plumbers and I spent most of my school hols being a plumbers mate. I quite enjoy it and to be honest it isn't that taxing, however if you are going to dabble make sure your Pli covers it, as when it goes wrong it is normally spectacular!;-)
@Matt168 what's wrong with my spelling?

Sadly,not true. There are plenty of documented investigations,and subsequent convictions,where injuries and fatalities have occurred,as a direct result of bad design,workmanship,or plain fraud.
Damage and modification of other systems,by plumbing activities,leading to explosion (flash overs),catastrophic failure of hot water storage tanks,above sleeping areas,etc.

Not to mention fatalities during work,where poor practice or judgement,by a plumber,has been the reason for injury or death.

In my opinion,a plumber who does not put an adequate vent,or bypasses a troublesome immersion stat cut-out,is providing the identical risks,as a spark who leaves a troublesome circuit,without RCD protection,on a board change.

Both are done regularly,and may not give an issue,for decades... then,one day,there is a blockage or a spillage :tophat::tophat::tophat::tophat:

Anyone tell me who's wearing them hats? ;)

Undertakers ??:eek:

Reply to I have to admit something..... and I'm a little embarrassed... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net