Discuss I thought short courses were fine. Just done a week on site. Now i think they're not fit for purpose. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Only in
Nah, there's no arrogance from me. You're misunderstanding the tone which is understandable since it's text so hard to judge.
People very rarely see and recognise their own arrogance
Also an FYI - i ran my own very successful general building company from age 17-29 before i moved to Europe, so i also know what i'm talking about.
So you closed it down and moved to Europe or was it not that successful

Blimy this thread was really good till the last few posts! Come on guys we are all supposed to be on the same team here! lets move on and get this back on track! I don't read these things for petty squabbling, I read them to further my knowledge and post to try and help the community, especially those who are just starting on their electrical journey!
Sy

But how much does someone need to learn to be an electrician, while the industry is vast it is all interconnected by wires of various sizes and there are a lot of common areas across all the sectors. I don't subscribe to the "I only want to do domestic so single phase 230v is enough for me" when a number of the larger domestic properties I have worked on had a 3 phase incomer. Then again a single phase incomer is derived from the 3 phase supply running down the street so how much do you really need to know and understand of this vast industry
The fact is these days the internet provides a crutch to prop up the lack of knowledge, training and experience

Do you really think that would work
I think a smart person could easily learn the basics in a year to be a domestic electrician . Just the right coursework /training .

My apprentice days were similar to what the OP talked about and I loved them day s, 2 weeks house bashing on a new site , then sent to a factory to help pull in big swa , then sent to a brand new office refit putting up tray and wiring up click roses to put up 200 panel lights . it was varied , it was testing and most importantly i went home knackered most days but always felt like i have learned something new. i had college 1 day a week and this was the old 2360-pt1-pt2.

i honestly loved every minute of those early days , i felt so luck i had a good mentors who actually let me have a go at things and not just left to sweep the floor

My apprentice days were similar to what the OP talked about and I loved them day s, 2 weeks house bashing on a new site , then sent to a factory to help pull in big swa , then sent to a brand new office refit putting up tray and wiring up click roses to put up 200 panel lights . it was varied , it was testing and most importantly i went home knackered most days but always felt like i have learned something new. i had college 1 day a week and this was the old 2360-pt1-pt2.

i honestly loved every minute of those early days , i felt so luck i had a good mentors who actually let me have a go at things and not just left to sweep the floor

Other than not doing any domestic, this sounds like my own apprenticeship - continually learning and a huge variation in the type of work from day to day.

Couldn't have asked for better, but I'd like the day in college to be more challenging.

Other than not doing any domestic, this sounds like my own apprenticeship - continually learning and a huge variation in the type of work from day to day.

Couldn't have asked for better, but I'd like the day in college to be more challenging.
I found some parts of college quite a challenge as I was pretty new to the game when I started college and had limited site experience to call on the first new months , other than a few weeks here and there with my day who was also a factory sparks

What would be interesting would be to start a fresh apprenticeship now and see how it compared to 25 years ago

I found some parts of college quite a challenge as I was pretty new to the game when I started college and had limited site experience to call on the first new months , other than a few weeks here and there with my day who was also a factory sparks

What would be interesting would be to start a fresh apprenticeship now and see how it compared to 25 years ago

Chances are I'll find a few aspects of it fairly challenging as time passes, but it all seems to move rather slowly at this point.

I think a smart person could easily learn the basics in a year to be a domestic electrician . Just the right coursework /training .
So a whole new can of worms opens up
How do you define a "smart person" then how do you overcome the discrimination that will cause when some don't make the grade as a smart person
If you only learn the "basics" would that not make you a "basic domestic electrician" and what training progression will be needed to progress from the basic level

At what point does the industry educate the public on how to choose an electrician when "I'm an electrician" could cover widely differing levels of knowledge and experience. I've been to a few faults over the last few years where the customers had engaged a number of electricians to find faults and been challenged with what makes you think you will find the fault when all the previous ones haven't, all faults found and then I get why couldn't they find them then you have to tell them what state the industry is in

It's all to easy to dilute the pool and before you realise it you have a lot of "electricians" and a lot of problems they can't solve

Reply to I thought short courses were fine. Just done a week on site. Now i think they're not fit for purpose. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net