Discuss I want to be an electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Med75

-
Reaction score
hi guys I’m new to the forum and I want some advice I’m 42 years old and I’m a taxi driver at present I’ve always had an interest in electrics and now I’ve decided I want to become an electrician I’m wondering firstly am I to old and secondly what is the best way to get qualified my local college does a fast track 10 week course for level 2 for £2660 and they also do a fast track 10 level 3 for £3330 is this the way to go as it’s a lot of money and I will be funding it myself is it easy to get employment afterwards etc thanks in advance for advice

Hi, i wohld say no dont do any courses that say you will be qualified in a few months its take 3-4 years to become qualified correctly, if you do the 10 week courses it will not be very easy to find employment as these courses are looked down on in the electrical industry as you cant get the sufficient knowledge or experience in that time. If i was you i would just go to college and do the city and guilds 2356 level 2 and 3 and then do your nvq3 which now includes the am2 qualification and also do the regualtion course which by then will be 18th edition.

It take a long time to become an electrican not 20 weeks total sorry, and for your age im sure its fine one of the lads in my college class was 52 and still got fully qualified and every thing the only problem with your age is your not likely to be able to get an apprenticeship but i would think you probily dont want one any way as it dont pay very well.

Any way good luck but stay away from the quick route to be a electrician.

Don't go for the quick route.... Doesn't pay out in the long run.
Good example.... Re-wired a house and a client had started his electrical course at college evening classes. When finished he felt he really lacked practical skills and asked if he could tag along to build his skill set.
His first job was helping gland off SWA for garden lights. 1st gland wasn't very good at all, 15 glands later he was a pro!
He was at college evening classes and felt he was lacking in so many areas......the skill set you will receive in 10 weeks will leave you totally out of pocket and lacking in real world experience.
My advice would be keep working, go to night school and shadow an electrician for free and get your skills and confidence up.

You're not to old but do you have the time and patience to study and learn, its also tough out there finding work if you are qualified with no hands-on experience. Most on here did a 5 year apprenticeship starting when the left school at 16/16.5

Are you a minicab driver or black cab driver, work out what you clear per week then think again. I joined this forum to gain some knowledge to get back in to sparking as I grew to hate IT but I believe for the money in London I'd be better off in IT then a jobbing sparks.

hi guys I’m new to the forum and I want some advice I’m 42 years old and I’m a taxi driver at present I’ve always had an interest in electrics and now I’ve decided I want to become an electrician I’m wondering firstly am I to old and secondly what is the best way to get qualified my local college does a fast track 10 week course for level 2 for £2660 and they also do a fast track 10 level 3 for £3330 is this the way to go as it’s a lot of money and I will be funding it myself is it easy to get employment afterwards etc thanks in advance for advice
become a plumber instead .don't need qualifications to push to pipes together .

buzz may have said that in jest, but in reality, you can learn plumbing in a few weeks. once employed or having started up your own business, you can take further courses e.g.gas safe/heating systems in your own time. also it's a much easier life. less paperwork, less knowledge, far less tools outlay. you can't kill someone with a mistake (unless you drown 'em), and customers will pay a plumber's exorbitant fee without question but will try and screw a spark down to minimum wage.

Last edited:
buzz may have said that in jest, but in reality, you can learn plumbing in a few weeks. once employed or having started up your own business, you can take further courses e.g.gas safe/heating systems in your own time. also it's a much easier life. less paperwork, less knowledge, far less tools outlay. you can't kill someone with a mistake (unless you drown 'em), and customers will pay a plumber's exorbitant fee without question but will try and screw a spark down to minimum wage.
got to dig through ---- to unblock drains though...

wasnt there an elderly couple killed by a hot water tank that had ruptured? it was located in the loft directly above their bed.

I used to get my Lotus serviced at Morland Jones in W12 and the younger guy had, had enough as he moved out to Basingstoke way as he remarried and commuted on a scooter and as the elder partner was retiring he went on a few courses as his son was a gas engineer, got on to a BG cubbies contract with training. Reminds me I need to email him to find out how he's getting on but at least he doesn't have the shitty journey to work to deal with.

Don't let me put you off. It's just that wishing it does not make it so. If you are motivated enough then you can do it. At least today there are routes to take for adults and late developers.

But don't believe that holding a piece of paper with your name on makes you an electrician. There is much more to it than that. One of the often overlooked skills of many artisans is their skill in using tools. This can only be acquired with lots of time and practice. Also knowledge that may seem unrelated to electrics but is vital. Like different building construction methods, different floor material and how to lift it and get it back again, different walls and how to fix to them, timber frame and the role of the vapour barrier etc etc. This knowledge can only be gained with experience.

This post has probably not received the response you were expecting but don't let that put you off. What people are really saying is you can't become an electrician in 10 weeks but it is a start. There are plenty good electricians who have done it. But It's like driving. Would you employ someone straight from the test centre as a taxi driver just because they have a license?

Good luck for the future. Its a good profession, better that sitting on your bum all day.

Reply to I want to be an electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net