Discuss Icelandic Electrical Installation. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I have watched loads of vids from Europe and I have never seen anything like SWA over there. The closest thing is round flex wired through a metal bendy conduit like an old shower hose. I think some countries use large SWA type cable for big power circuits and big power distribution but never small stuff

Yeah fair point.

Much European wiring is carried out with NYM-J and similar, circular cable with solid cores and insulated earth, for anything that we would do with T&E. Where needed, you can switch to a more durable cable in the form of NYY, which can be handled in the same way as NYM and use the same fittings, but has a tough, UV resistant sheath. We don't have an equivalent tough version of T&E in general use so we tend to move all the way up to SWA instead of NYY. There has also been a stronger tradition of all-insulated construction compared to our widespread use of earthing, so less of a desire to use an earthed armour.

I thought I would have a look at the French Regulations on SWA, so looked for my books of regulations, in all I think I paid upwards of €600 for them, can't find them anywhere, I then asked my wife is she had seen them, "Oh I did not think you would want them anymore and took them to the Charity shop" ARGHHHHHHHH 😤

Just be ready to be shocked at the quality of life there ..... we are pure 3rd world compared to them (in so many ways !!!)
In all my work travels the one consistent factor is simply that the U.K. is a lame dog and needs putting out of it's misery. (The rest of) Europe is waaaaay ahead of us in almost everything. I've long said that as soon as mini-me is independent then I'm off!!

And if you check now you will also find the rest of Europe (France & Spain in my experience) is getting more expensive to live in, my French tax's doubled in the last few years and food did the same, the only stable price was wine.

And if you check now you will also find the rest of Europe (France & Spain in my experience) is getting more expensive to live in, my French tax's doubled in the last few years and food did the same, the only stable price was wine.
Portugal and Italy also seeing huge cost of living rise. Ive yet to see a country where EVERYTHING is so well funded .Iceland works like this ...

School needs something ... they buy it .

Hospital needs something. They buy it .This also includes Medicine .
something needs fixing..its fixed

NO private schools ...they see this as a TERRIBLE idea .ALL schools have to be reaching the same standards .

And the level of Red tape involved is as thin as a piece of paper . Corruption and theft etc are almost unheard of .

I once met the PM shopping there and was talking to him. ANY citizen has a right to have a face to face meeting with their PM within so many working days . He never even had a Police protection officer with him. There was only 2 gun carrying officers on the Island then.... one each at the duty free shop just in case there was a Rush on the Brenniven !!!

Drink more, eat less.

Portugal and Italy also seeing huge cost of living rise. Ive yet to see a country where EVERYTHING is so well funded .Iceland works like this ...

School needs something ... they buy it .

Hospital needs something. They buy it .This also includes Medicine .
something needs fixing..its fixed
All of this has to be funded some how, I wonder what the tax percentage and thresholds are on earn't income?

And let's not forget they have one of the highest suicide rates in the world, I think I would be suicidal If I lived half the year in darkness, would the other half of the year make up for it IMO no.

Scandinavian countries are great, Denmark and Sweden particularly have it the best of all worlds.

Its weird living 6 months in semi darkness and then 6 months in almost daylight ! Yes... they do have a suicide % but they also have far less mental health issues , social issues , homeless issues and unemployment issues . The country is far far superior to us in so many ways . They really sit back and laugh at the rest of us making so many stupid mistakes with our lives and society etc.

I was working with young people 20-23 , they OWNED property in Iceland and many had ventured into buying in Spain etc .They owned 2-3 cars , They either owned or had a "share' of a private plane . The way the pensioners are looked after is first class .

Same question to you, why do you live where you do if these other countries are comparatively that much superior?
Iceland is no fool..... it can see what immigration has done to many countries . Its happy the way it is and they like it . The chances of been able to relocate there is low . I'm thinking of maybe N-Ireland . The economy is getting better there.If I win the Lottery ....JAPAN !

Didn’t Icelands economy go t1ts up not long ago?
And there’s the volcano that grounded every plane.

UK may be struggling, but we don’t get severe earthquakes, volcanoes, torrential rain, unbearable sunshine or tiny little insects that want to kill you. Not to mention non existant gun laws.

I think that just about covers everywhere else.

Didn’t Icelands economy go t1ts up not long ago?
And there’s the volcano that grounded every plane.

UK may be struggling, but we don’t get severe earthquakes, volcanoes, torrential rain, unbearable sunshine or tiny little insects that want to kill you. Not to mention non existant gun laws.

I think that just about covers everywhere else.
You must have been there to mention the Insects (Or Norway etc ) !!! They are of a military grade... I still have the scars .The "Viking Squad " are now the only armed unit on the Island . I never heard of any violence when i was there . Just lovely all be it at times a bit "boring" people . Who seemed to do anything really well. Their engineers etc and shipping companies are top end . Yes... they took a hit some years ago. But fully back on track now . ANyone given the chance should work there . The wages are NUTS !

If they are so great, why do you live in Somerset?
As said above, because of mini-me. And, I don't really live in Somerset - I mean, there's a house there that I pay for with my stuff in it and people that I love, but last year I spent over 230 days away working, 18 countries and 3 continents, so in my case 'home' really can be wherever you lay your hat.

Reply to Icelandic Electrical Installation. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net