Discuss If I added a second 3-4kWp array......... in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

FB.

Where does it say in the literature how my existing FiT rate and duration would stand, and how I would stand with the new array?

All I can find is mention of arrays with total installed capacity >4kW, and no mention of how to apply for additional arrays on Scottish Power's FiT application forms.

But I'd have two arrays in the 3-4kW range each, amounting to about 7kW for both, but they'd be independent of each other, have separate generation meters and neither would be >4kW.

I wouldn't want to end up with the new being lumped with the old, and losing my 45.4p FiT, since 3.75kWp @ 45.4p FiT earns more than 2 x 3.75kWp @ 14.5p FiT.

Equally, I can't find anything in the literature that says I can't have 16p Fit, rather than the 14.5p FiT that the 4-10kW band implies (since I'd not have a new array of >4kW, but I would have TWO arrays of 3-4kW each).

Thanks for any help or pointers to the literature,
F

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly call your DNO get confirmation your supply cable is ok for it

A local-ish solar installer made an informal query and the DNO said that they'd probably allow an additional 3-4kWp, subject to everything being fine with the formal application. Apparently, now the solar rush has passed, the DNO's aren't as grumpy.

EPC should easily make D. Mains gas. Gas central heating. About 50% of lightbulbs are energy-efficient type. House about 25years old, so walls are cavity (but not extra insulated).
A nearby house identical but without solar was borderline D/E, and a friend jumped from E to C simply by having 4kWp installed (I already have 4kWp installed, so should be C/D).

A local-ish solar installer made an informal query and the DNO said that they'd probably allow an additional 3-4kWp, subject to everything being fine with the formal application. Apparently, now the solar rush has passed, the DNO's aren't as grumpy.

EPC should easily make D. Mains gas. Gas central heating. About 50% of lightbulbs are energy-efficient type. House about 25years old, so walls are cavity (but not extra insulated).
A nearby house identical but without solar was borderline D/E, and a friend jumped from E to C simply by having 4kWp installed (I already have 4kWp installed, so should be C/D).

It might be best to call your supplier fit team and ask them what fit would you get let us know what they say

It might be best to call your supplier fit team and ask them what fit would you get let us know what they say

Yes, I emailed my FiT provider (Scottish Power), but their automated reply said they will respond within a week, so it may be a few days yet. I'll try to remember to update this topic if/when I get a reply.

Just got an email back from Scottish Power.
They're quite good - not long to answer my email and I receive FiT payments by bank transfer two weeks after reading submitted.

They said:

Thank you for your email.

In response to your query, your original installation will retain its current tariff and 25 year period.

The additional panels would be paid at the rate for the higher capacity range of 4kW-10kW, currently 14.5p per kWh for a 20 year period, with the eligibility date for the new array being its commissioning date. Both payment periods would run in parallel.

Please be aware there is a rate change on 1 November 2012 whereby the rate will reduce to 13.99p per kWh.

Yes, you would require to submit two readings, one for each of the meters.

Should you proceed with the installation and wish to apply for the Feed In Tariff for the additional panels, you will need to complete a separate application form and send it in to us, together with a copy of the MCS Certificate and Energy Performance Certificate.

Well that's not bad for you FB! it's a no brainer really if you have the space for the additional panels

Yes, I just have to decide whether I like the way they might look, depending on which path I pursue.

I first began looking into it at the end of May, but was deterred by hurdles and a perceived likely rush to beat a FiT deadline and therefore companies more likely to want the easier options.

Original thread here
http://www.electriciansforums.net/p...57834-adding-second-4kwp-array-questions.html

Even if I don't proceed, the questions I asked myself and others were educational.

Yes, I just have to decide whether I like the way they might look, depending on which path I pursue.

I first began looking into it at the end of May, but was deterred by hurdles and a perceived likely rush to beat a FiT deadline and therefore companies more likely to want the easier options.

Original thread here
http://www.electriciansforums.net/p...57834-adding-second-4kwp-array-questions.html

Even if I don't proceed, the questions I asked myself and others were educational.

I remember the thread, there's nowt to lose and lots to gain

Just make sure you have the EPC 'D' certificate in your hand before installing the extension.
THIS

Please don't forget this advice, or you will end up on the lowest possible FIT rate with the new system due to some obscure interpretation of the rules that seems to be the order of things at Ofgem.

Reply to If I added a second 3-4kWp array......... in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net