Discuss importing machines in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Northen

Hi I am looking for advice as i am going to be importing some three phase machines from China and want to make sure the electrical motors and heating elements on them meet UK regulations, are suitable for our system, have the required labeling and are safe as far as our H7S would be concerned. The machines are a variety of different types used to process waste wood, sawdust etc. Whats the best way to check this and what do I have to be looking out for ? Regards Bob

What you need is a guy on here called Netblindpaul he is the main man when it comes to machinery and all the PEWAR regulations.

I suppose I would look for the CE label on them, but be aware that the Chinese symbol for export is remarkably like the CE label, you can wiki it and see.

I'd make sure that they had full certificates for conformity and would want to see their specs and technical data.

Make sure they are 50hz and not 60hz. Also the voltages are correct.

I'm sure I missed somethings but hope it helps

Check with the organizations, that the manufacturer claims his machines comply with, such as CE certified! Ask for the names and/or any letters of reference from other European companies that have purchased the same or similar equipment.

Chinese goods are NOT all rubbish as some would have you believe, some are high quality and much cheaper than similar goods manufactured in the West. But you do still need to be wary of sub-standard fakes etc, but even they are fast disappearing compared with just a few short years ago...

Hi
Thanks for that advice I have been importing solar panels and inverters etc. for some time from China so I know there are good Chinese manufacturers and products out there and I have researched the manufacturer for these machines carefully. I haven't though imported anything with an electric motor or moving parts that could be dangerous and I am very aware of my duty of care to make sure the machines are safe and fit for purpose in the UK.
The CE system seems to be a mess as you cant check CE certificates on any central register as far as I am aware and companies can self certificate so not sure how much reliance can be placed on this.
I also import wood pellet boilers and stoves from former Yugoslavia area and have had some experience of CE certificates not being what they seem !

you could always go down the easy route,E54 is in china bung him a few bob and get him to check them out for you! lol

Errr, i don't think you realise just how big China is!! lol!! Even Zhuhai as a city, is probably bigger than Greater London, certainly the population is bigger... To give you an idea, i'm at least 4 hour flight away from Beijing, ...add a couple more to Shanghai!! lol!!

I just had someone from one of the Chinese solar companies I work with come over to London and I live in the north of Scotland but she wasn't fazed at all with the 16 hour train journey to come for a meeting ! Maybe thats why ?

They also have some of the fastest Bullet Trains in the world here now, linking most of the major cities and expanding all the time. They are so popular, you need to book your tickets in advance rarely are there any spare seats in any of the carriages!! On normal train travel, you can be on the same train for 3 or 4 day's... lol!!

The Chinese are very patient people, too patient at times, they don't get fazed too easily, ...not Unless they can see they will be loosing money!! lol!!

I bet she drove a hard bargain at that meeting, generally they are very astute business wise, they rarely give much away, unless they can see a further potential business deal around the corner coming there way... lol!!

Errr, i don't think you realise just how big China is!! lol!! Even Zhuhai as a city, is probably bigger than Greater London, certainly the population is bigger... To give you an idea, i'm at least 4 hour flight away from Beijing, ...add a couple more to Shanghai!! lol!!
Still not as far away as scotland lol.

Reply to importing machines in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net