Discuss Information needed about getting qualified. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

pipunch

Hey all,

My name's Phil and I live in Edinburgh. I am 25 (nearly 26) and spent the first 8 years of my working life assisting my Dad on domestic and commercial builds doing everything from rewiring to painting, basic plumbing, plastering and gardening works.

I've always been interested in electrics and I'm slowly coming to the realisation (after numerous jobs which are either not guaranteed or are only short term) that the best bet of setting myself up for any kind of future is to get a trade of some sort - some actual qualification that I can offer an employer.

Now here's the problem - there is a complete lack of information out there in my opinion.

I'm trying to get qualified at electrics but before plunging into anything I'm doing an awful lot of research.

Can anyone actually help advise me on how to get there? I don't mind hard work, I have enough saved to pay for courses/spend time out of work training.

Is there any way of completing this dream without actually being an apprentice? I will work alongside an electrician as a mate for years and fund my own qualifications along side that if needs be.

Just some general advice on what is do-able as a route into the game without being an apprentice really.

Any information is gratefully received, and even if you think I should just forget it completely then that response is fine too.

The routes I have at the moment are:

1. Apprenticeship/Adult Apprenticeship - Few and far between and almost impossible for me to achieve.
2. Do full training 'centre' thing and hope I can get someone to sign off my practical work (I actually know a spark in Manchester who may be willing to do this for me) and then once I have qualifications work as a mate to gain the real world experience (which I would prefer, as I want the actual experience and not just some quick fix qualification).
3. Go to a college to get the qualifications and then do as above, work for low money with an experienced guy to learn the trade from the ground up ON SITE.

With my relevant and extensive site experience, what sort of qualifications do you think I will need to get working with an electrician as a mate?

Thanks in advance and it's nice to become a part of the forum.

EDIT: my local college in Edinburgh offer National Qualification Level 2 in Electrical Installation, costs £1k. Any advice?

I also forgot to mention that I have 4 'A-Levels' at grade A (the best you can get) in English, IT and Maths. If this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would contact the college and ask the same question, I did the 2330 level 2&3 full time at college and worked part time to get some experience with a qualified spark who was willing to give me a chance, I was 27 when I retrained and haven't looked back. I wouldn't try these get trained quick as they can't reach you enough in the time they say. Hope this helps

Thank you very much for your reply - I am looking at calling the college up to ask them what the best way would be.

My only concern is - without someone giving me a chance, is there still a chance I can become qualified, or even qualified enough to at least get me a job as a mate which would then allow me to complete the practical stuff. Or can you do the full thing through a college? Because i'm even willing to become 'fully qualified' and THEN work for peanuts along side someone for the chance at some experience, if that is do-able.

It's such a shame at the lack of information out there to have to come on these forums and bug you fine people with stuff you've probably already answered a thousand times!

Quite simply you need the City and guilds 2357. Nothing else will do. Probably do 1 day a week in college. The rest you can spend on site as a 'mate' looking to earn around £10 an hour with or without agency. CSCS card, quick test and you're away.

Good luck finding work though.

You don't need any qualifications to work as a mate.

If you go to college, you should end up with a qualification, but not enough experience. The college teach you how things should be done and how to do basic circuits etc. but nothing is better then seeing it on site. As voltz said with what you have already you should be able to get a job as a mate, then sort out the college and get your head done and learn as much as you can at both things. Like I said I did the same thing, but my local college were very helpful.

Good to hear that you are willing to put the work in for the real qualifications,

as far as I am aware a lot of people are funding their own courses as far as they can complete without a placement/ on site experience and then trying to gain experience as mates or trying to find apprenticeships, you do not qualifications to be a mate.

Although I did hear a rumour that in the near future you will need to have a work placement to begin any college training, (similar to what they have done to the pat testing course where now you need to be an electrician to do the course)

I cannot back up this rumour mind you and I hope for your sake it doesn't go ahead,

as far as finding work if you have a sparky mate he could be the guy to get you your ticket so I would choose that route because unfortunately these days it is very difficult to find any apprenticeships and companies must be getting a lot of calls enquiring.

all i can recommend is either calling a college to verify a good route to go in, or either keep on hunting for a traineeship

ATB

Since you live in edinburgh head up to SECTT offices at bush house in midlothian (EH26 0SE) and asked to speak to someone up there about advice/courses etc. Good luck whatever you choose.

good man doing it the correct way college is the best way,

the quick way will never get you on the nvq 3

Well y'know, I'm long enough in the tooth now work-wise to realise that although cutting corners can be a great short term fix, it's not what I want.

I want longevity and job satisfaction and those things only come by doing things the right way. I think it's kinda insulting to people who've spent 3+ years plus countless on site learning their trade to think I can achieve the same in 18 months.

College is deffo my preferred way, but I'm just thinking about looking into alternatives like becoming a mate whilst studying for the 'official' qualifications. Also to the person who recommended going up to the houses of that organisation - many thanks, I will deffo do that.

With the good A levels you have, you could have gone to Uni on a degree course, ...you still can!!
I know it's not for everyone, but if your looking towards your future's foundations, you can do a lot worse!! lol!! Employed by a good company, you could even become a Chartered Engineer (C Eng) within 3 years after graduation!!

With the good A levels you have, you could have gone to Uni on a degree course, ...you still can!!
I know it's not for everyone, but if your looking towards your future's foundations, you can do a lot worse!! lol!! Employed by a good company, you could even become a Chartered Engineer (C Eng) within 3 years after graduation!!
This is going to sound really silly.....my problem with that is that I have lots of visible tattoos - hands and neck. Would I ever become employed in those sorts of areas due to my appearance?

And can you recommend any good courses which I may be able to take? What kinds of courses would I be looking at where I could work towards a good trade/skilled occupation?

This is going to sound really silly.....my problem with that is that I have lots of visible tattoos - hands and neck. Would I ever become employed in those sorts of areas due to my appearance?

And can you recommend any good courses which I may be able to take? What kinds of courses would I be looking at where I could work towards a good trade/skilled occupation?

If the City & Guilds 2330 is still going, that is the one you want to start with. I did it and worked as a mate at the same time. Then I did the C & G 2382 17th edition. After that its up to you what you want to go for. The C & G 2391 Inspection & testing is a good one but I believe its being changed to 2394 & 2395 soon. Then, if your working as an electrician, you can do the C & G 2356 NVQ 3 to become, what alot of people say, is a fully qualified electrician. It all depends on what you want to gain from the industry. But defo stay away from the Electrical Trainee courses. Hope this helps and good luck in what ever you decide.

Jay

Reply to Information needed about getting qualified. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net