Discuss inspection and testing in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Give the customer the EICR that you have deemed as unsatisfactory. Then if the customer wants you to,quote for the work to bring the installation up to a satisfactory condition. Only you know what will be required to make it satisfactory from the codes you have given so everyone on here will be guessing.

Input - As stated you/they/someone MUST bring the installation up to standard to get a "satisfactory" EICR
What can you do ?
IF the conduit is not protected against its environment then that could lead to a possible c2/c3 just on containment (Eg if there is reat big rusty holes in it.) If its galv conduit then it should be fine.
What else could you do - Run in cpc's if there are none and run in an earth from the met at the supply. Run in all your usual main protective bonds and assess for the need for supplementary bonding.
As for RCD protection - does it need it in your opinion ? Would the area count as a special location ?
As an inspector you just have to deliver the report imho. Deliver the unsatisfactory report if the install is not up to scratch and quote for remedial works.
You say Zs is high....is it too high ? only you have seen the readings mate.

An installation has one MET.
The initials stand for Main Earth Terminal.
An installation may have EMTs (Earth Marhshaling Terminals) as well as a MET, but there is no requirement to such.
All circuits of a location containing a swimming pool, are now (just as with locations containing baths or showers) required to be provided with 30mA RCD protection.
Depending upon where the board is situated, it may be that the circuit supplying the board would also require 30mA RCD protection.
However as the requirements are retrospective, it could be argued that a lack of RCD protection, would only warrent a code C3, if the installation complied at the time of it's design/construction.

An installation has one MET.
The initials stand for Main Earth Terminal.
An installation may have EMTs (Earth Marhshaling Terminals) as well as an MET, but there is no requirement to have any.
All circuits of a location containing a swimming pool, are now (just as with locations containing baths or showers) required to be provided with 30mA RCD protection.
Depending upon where the board is situated, it may be that the circuit supplying the board would also require 30mA RCD protection.
However as the requirements are retrospective, it could be argued that a lack of RCD protection, would only Warrent a code C3, if the installation complied at the time of it's design/construction.
I know that mate I was just using the term loosely between sparks lol. This sounds like a sub board to me (so running in an earth from MET would still be "correct" lol). Maybe im just looking too deep into stuff lol.

If the board is supplied by steel conduit then it does have an earth, its that steel conduit! There is absoloutely nothing wrong with this and is compliant with the current regulations as long as the connection at each end is electrically and mechanically sound. If it is suffering from a bit of corrosion then the most it might need is a bit of a clean up and some paint to cover the exposed metal.
The same goes for outgoing circuits wired in steel conduit.

I didn't reply to your post.
You posted while I was typing.
My comment regarding the MET was aimed at the OP.
He stated that the board doesn't have a MET.
I also suspected that it was a Sub board, which is why I asked for clarification.
Obviously, a Sub board would not have a MET, as the MEt would be at the origin of the installation.
I would expect that there would be a CPC run with the feed to the board, and would expect the CPCs of the circuits fed from this board to be connected to it.

Considering it is a swiming fool I would consider RCD protection as a minimum.
and Take a Zs reading (highest reading point) without any touch on main conduits connection point then note it. Would try to make the main conduits connection points better as much it can be.
take a second reading of Zs on same point.
if the second reading comes out with lower reading... report it on EICR with the concerns.
if reading remains same then I would go for Ze.
There would be a better way with someone's opinion.

JD

conduits connected to earthing in a corrosive environment is my concern - the board is earthed vi the conduits supplying maintails from isolator below it. I am see the lack on main earth cable as a C1 - and the db should be isolated until the necessary remedial work has been completed

Cheers
Please tell us what gives us the authority to do this. I'd love it if we had the clout but we don't.

Reply to inspection and testing in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net