Discuss Installation Technician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Zdb

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Anyone got Technician status on their ECS card?

What is the electrical installation work part 3 course?

I have the Level 4 design (2396) and was wondering if it is today's equivalent.

Screenshot_20190127-201128_Drive.jpg

The 2396 is a current level 4 qual recognised for this grade as i understand it.
From the current ECS site:

Technician Grade
The Technician Grade demonstrates that the operative is working at a supervisory level with a high technical skill.

The Approved Grade must have been held for at least five years prior to the Technician Grade being applied for, with at least three years in a supervisory capacity.

To gain a Technician Grade, the applicant must demonstrate additional skills and ability in both technical and managerial areas of the company’s business.

Formal qualifications at level 4 and above are also required. These qualifications are typically in BS7671 design and verification of electrical installations. Other higher level technical qualifications will be needed for the Technician Grade, dependent on the original Core Grade that was held.

View attachment 47446
In my day the City and Guilds "C" certificate gave you JIB status as an "Electrician Technician" or something of that ilk, there weren't that many because firms in those days wouldn't employ you, and were reluctant to pay Technician wages. Glad I got out and worked for HMG, say what you like about the CS, they paid the right rates of pay.

Okay, I take it, the this applies to the other person who replied “yes I have” weatward10, a moderator.
The originator asked if anyone has Tecnician status on their card. The answer was “yes I do”. I didn’t answer any thing else, because I don’t know,therefore my answer was short.
Where is the disinformation and stupidity in that.

Okay, I take it, the this applies to the other person who replied “yes I have” weatward10, a moderator.
The originator asked if anyone has Tecnician status on their card. The answer was “yes I do”. I didn’t answer any thing else, because I don’t know,therefore my answer was short.
Where is the disinformation and stupidity in that.
Touchy Michael, don't take comments so seriously, no one is doubting your qualifications, card details. etc, it was just trying to demonstrate how thing have become, since the onset of short courses etc, it was just an observation honestly lighten up Mate.

So..
If you are self employed (sole trader) and hold a current JIB "Approved" ECS card and want to upgrade to a Technician grade, how do you go about this..
I get that the simplest route is to complete a lv4 2396 course, but then how do you demonstrate that you worked in a supervisory roll ? I take it you need to get someone to endourse you, which isnt easy if you work for yourself.
I believe if you pay your £160 a year you can also apply for MIET status with the IET with 2396 also.

View attachment 47446
You require a minimum of the NVQ 3 nowadays to achieve a gold card with electrician written on it.
A lad works for us where he has a part 1&2 city & guilds in electrical installation (2330 I think) and he’s 17th edition and inspection and testing but without his NVQ he can only achieve a white labourers card.
The NVQ 3 is a site based qualification mixed with the technical parts of level 2&3 electrotechnical theory and the AM2
If you do not have the NVQ 3 I do not believe that you can obtain a gold card let alone a technician card unless Your qualifications where before the introduction of the NVQ, ecs are the ones who can advise the most so I’d give them a call
I’ve worked with some really good electricians who could not obtain a gold card because of the lack of a NVQ qualification

Last edited:
In my day the City and Guilds "C" certificate gave you JIB status as an "Electrician Technician" or something of that ilk, there weren't that many because firms in those days wouldn't employ you, and were reluctant to pay Technician wages. Glad I got out and worked for HMG, say what you like about the CS, they paid the right rates of pay.
That might be why mine is Installation Technician. T.B.O I don't think anyone is bothered as long as I have one to go one site.

Snap Pete, I only done the A & B , could not be bothered with the C, earning too much money.

Snap Pete, I only done the A & B , could not be bothered with the C, earning too much money.
Seem to recall that if you were successful, and you passed the "C" course you could apply to the City and Guilds for a full Tech Certificate, I know I did, received one, but can I find it? can I heck as like.

Touchy Michael, don't take comments so seriously, no one is doubting your qualifications, card details. etc, it was just trying to demonstrate how thing have become, since the onset of short courses etc, it was just an observation honestly lighten up Mate.
Could the Mods please delete this answer of mine please

The 2396 will satisfy the class room side but you will also need five years as an 'Approved Electrician' and at least three years in a supervisory role and receiving 'Responsibility Money'.

I have the Black Card and now need to do a Level 4 course in Management and a SMSTS course as the JIB have moved the goalposts on this card now.

Reply to Installation Technician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net