Discuss Installing electrics in new build in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi Idil - you could put your efforts into working out a complete spec for your job perhaps? That way you will get what you want and any quotes should be easy to compare.
With a 3 storey new build I'd also recommend you get talking to your local Council building control about fire alarms. My thought is - best to get them to specify what will be required.
Also think about any outbuildings or garage that might need power ... better to dig trenches before the garden or paving :)

In all honesty if your not going to commit to it and train properly this is an awful idea that's why there are electricians out there to do these jobs for you, properly.

I built a house and decided I was going to do the roof myself (see my other recent thread!) Rather than taking a roofer five days, it took me about six weeks of doing a few bits here and there, now I enjoyed doing it, but after I had worked out additional costs on scaffolding hire it would have been cheaper and a far better job to get a roofer in (which I had to do anyway to repair an issue I had due to not finishing a gully properly) The moral to my story is get someone in who knows what they are doing!:)

If you have a background in computing and experience of terminating cat5/6 etc, you could plan and run in all the data cabling yourself to save some money. Sky/TV cabling and any other media you require is perhaps something you could also learn yourself to save some money if you have a technical mindset.

You might have problems with your home insurers. I would not buy a home an amateur had wired. I am a chartered electrical engineer - even so, we are having major works done now in our home and have employed two electricians to do the wiring - horses for courses. As a professional I know the limits of what I know and am competent to do. The completion of courses and the award of certificates alone do not make someone competent and possess good judgement; these take time and experience.

If you do what you suggested will you be taking out professional indemnity insurance as a professional electrician does?

Last edited:
Generally speaking a basic and cheaper design/build of a three storey is about £4k to £5k. If you want a "smart" home install with all the whistles and bells you are looking at up to £7k assuming you have five bedrooms, garage and outhouse/workshop. Depends very much on what type of fittings you want installed as well. From circa £3 to £10 per socket. Lights can be as cheap as £2 + lamps up to anything you want to pay. I once installed wall lights that cost £3000 pounds each that was many years ago! As stated the only way to get the cost is get some quotations in. I think whatever the price you are given there will always be unforseen problems and the price will creep up. Maybe 15% in some cases. It sounds like you have decided to project manage yourself, personally I would not do that I would use and architect to manage it all. Make sure the contractor is registered with a scheme with a good reputation, and recommended. Be sure to get a contract. If you are doing a new build you would normally use an architect to manage all of the separate trades. That is the only way you can get any redress if things go wrong as they are proffessionally indemnified, builders just go bankrupt if it all goes wrong and you cannot get a penny from them.

Hi

I'm building a new house and I like to do all electric work myself to save money.

Instead of paying an electrician £6k+, I thought I'll instead invest in training myself to become competent (enough) to install electrics myself in my new build.

My objective is not to gain employment, I'm happy with my current job in computing.

I know there's a number of discussions about these courses:
City & Guilds 4141-01 - Electrical Installation Work within a Domestic Dwelling
City & Guilds 2393 – Part P Building Regulations
City & guilds 2392-10 – Inspection & Testing Course

Would these courses enable me to do electrics for my new build?
Can someone suggest/recommend alternative courses?

Thanks
Idil
I am not an electrician, but have been involved in electrical engineering design during my career, so I am very confident with domestic installations, I just ask electrician to certify it, so its all cosher, which can cost between £150 and £300.

I am not an electrician, but have been involved in electrical engineering design during my career, so I am very confident with domestic installations, I just ask electrician to certify it, so its all cosher, which can cost between £150 and £300.
If you can find an Electrician to test and certify an installation carried out by a self confessed non electrician.

Hi

I'm building a new house and I like to do all electric work myself to save money.

Instead of paying an electrician £6k+, I thought I'll instead invest in training myself to become competent (enough) to install electrics myself in my new build.

My objective is not to gain employment, I'm happy with my current job in computing.

I know there's a number of discussions about these courses:
City & Guilds 4141-01 - Electrical Installation Work within a Domestic Dwelling
City & Guilds 2393 – Part P Building Regulations
City & guilds 2392-10 – Inspection & Testing Course

Would these courses enable me to do electrics for my new build?
Can someone suggest/recommend alternative courses?

Thanks
Idil
It will need Part P notifying and all the courses won't qualify you to do that. Just get a Part P qualified electrician to do the job. A little bit of knowledge is DANGEROUS thing!

If you can find an Electrician to test and certify an installation carried out by a self confessed non electrician.
I have had electricians work to my designs and check their work on completion, when I was in my early teens I did electrical work for my school, so they saved the cost of an electrician.

Reply to Installing electrics in new build in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net