Discuss Insulation resistance test on a damaged conductor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I have noticed that when doing the IR test, I have to hold down the Test button for several seconds before the meter reaches the maximum reading. It's not instant. Its that normal?
Yes. There are two main mechanisms at work here: Capacitance and dielectric absorption.

The voltage source in the tester has a maximum output current of a few mA and only 1mA at the full 500v, so it takes a finite time to charge the capacitance of the installation. On a small circuit that would be within the settling time of the meter indication but a large circuit and/or connected suppression capacitors can give a noticeable delay reaching a steady value.

Then there is dielectric absorption. Insulating materials unavoidably contain some molecular dipoles that store charge by re-orientation, but this charge storage cannot be charged or discharged rapidly. When subjected to a voltage change, a tiny current continues to flow for a while while the charge is 'absorbed' into the material which can cause an insulation reading to rise slowly over a minute or so. The same effect occurs when discharged.

But what if there was a nail smashed into a conductor but not completely severed the conductor. Would that result in a pass on the continuity test?
Yes it would.Your insightful questions highlight the limitations of our current testing equipment.Electricians cannot locate a conductor that is damaged but not severed.It is entirely possible that such a situation could occur and result in a "hotspot" due to high resistance.On the other hand such situations are extremely rare.

Reply to Insulation resistance test on a damaged conductor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello all, I hope you're all keeping well. I have a question regarding insulation resistance testing. Whether doing a single circuit IR test or...
Replies
Views
I had an interesting little job this morning. Three sockets in an extension were not working and haven't worked for quite some time (years). It...
Replies
Views
Hi all , after some opinions on N-E fault or ring main. After chasing this fault and ruining my bank holiday weekend , ring main IR readings as...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm a little confused confused is someone can shine some light on the amendment 2 way of doing IR. I know you have to do one 1st fix at 500V...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Testing question for you. I'm currently testing an existing domestic installation. The wiring is about 20-25 years old. We have rewired...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock