Search the forum,

Discuss Insulation tape on connector blocks in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If a terminal block is not adequately enclosed to provide the necessary protection, a bit of PVC tape is not sufficient to complete the job. OTOH if it is adequately enclosed, the tape won't add anything. FWIW there are very few places where PVC insulating tape is actually useful for insulating. It's useful for all sorts of other things though.
It’s good to tie the Mrs up very robust and strong 5 tight wraps and she’s going nowhere ??

If a terminal block is not adequately enclosed to provide the necessary protection, a bit of PVC tape is not sufficient to complete the job. OTOH if it is adequately enclosed, the tape won't add anything. FWIW there are very few places where PVC insulating tape is actually useful for insulating. It's useful for all sorts of other things though.
Enclosed in a jb or electrical panel?

Yes, you can't just leave it lying about. It's got to be in an enclosure with suitable IP rating for the environment, that provides strain-relief for the cables. Ideally the terminal block should be fixed to the enclosure and, if the enclosure is metal, of such a design as to provide adequate creepage and clearance distances from the terminals.

choc blocks are screw connections and such should be accessible for maintenance & testing in the future. Do not bury in the wall where nobody will know they are there. All cable runs must run horizontal or vertical from accessories to accessory.

choc blocks are screw connections and such should be accessible for maintenance & testing in the future. Do not bury in the wall where nobody will know they are there. All cable runs must run horizontal or vertical from accessories to accessory.
So what is the reason people tape them just a question. I work On industrial equipment i.e motors and starters. Modifications are common and are made in the electrical panels but I had someone mention to me about taping all chick block connections but don’t see the point if they are in an enclosure.

I'd hazard a guess that the tradition of taping dates back to times when they were routinely left swinging in the wind or buried in plaster. Old habits die hard and all that...

So what is the reason people tape them just a question. I work On industrial equipment i.e motors and starters. Modifications are common and are made in the electrical panels but I had someone mention to me about taping all chick block connections but don’t see the point if they are in an enclosure.
You are right! I think it’s belt & braces just an extra layer of protection in case some odd wire may touch one of the screw terminals or to hold the cable in place with the missing cable grip.

Well, we've had cocky blocks and chick blocks now. Don't remember those in the regs!

OOI, what cases are there where it can actually be used for insulation? Seems like a name change might help a little with the common misconception. I do see it called Electrical tape in some places, though not sure that helps much.

Reply to Insulation tape on connector blocks in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock