Discuss Intermediate circuit problem in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi.

I have looked on the forum for a solution to my problem, but can't find anything. Apologies if it has been raised before.

I have a circuit with 2 two switches and 1 intermediate., which supplies 4 lamps with LED bulbs. I did the installation myself when building the house and my electrician praised my work when he certified it. This circuit has always had the LED bulbs.

The installation was completed about six year's ago and I have not had any problems until last night when I noticed the four lamps were flashing, and today they are on all the time at full brightness.

Nothing happens when I switch the 2 way switches but the intermediate flickers for a millisecond or two. I have tested the switches with a meter and they appear to be switching OK.

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

i'd suspect a poor connection somewhere. first, if you have a L and s/l at 1 2way switch. disconnect the 3 core and wire the L and s/l as you would a 1 way switch. see if the lights work then. if so, the fault is on the strappers. if not, then the fault is on just the bit you've connected, or on the supply to wherever you looped in/out.

i'd suspect a poor connection somewhere. first, if you have a L and s/l at 1 2way switch. disconnect the 3 core and wire the L and s/l as you would a 1 way switch. see if the lights work then. if so, the fault is on the strappers. if not, then the fault is on just the bit you've connected, or on the supply to wherever you looped in/out.

Hi Thanks for prompt replies.

All connections are OK. I don't understand the rest of your reply. There are two 2 way switches and one intermediate, and I don't know what 'strappers' are. I suspect the intermediate switch might be the problem, lights are on all the time but 'blink' and then remain on when I switch the intermediate. Everything worked perfectly for 6 year's!

In answer to the other reply, no they are not dimmed.

Thanks

strappers are the connections between the switches. if you don't have test gear, then all you can do is to try replacing the switches 1 at a time. staert with the intermediate, and FFS take a photo of the connections before disssing.

strappers are the connections between the switches. if you don't have test gear, then all you can do is to try replacing the switches 1 at a time. staert with the intermediate, and FFS take a photo of the connections before disssing.
Will do. Thanks for your help

Seen LED lamps flash on two way switching, because of the induced voltage, but only on a new installation or if the lamps have been replaced with LED.

Possibly the LED lamps are a little bit temperamental now with age, like some of the old gits on this forum :) . Could try taking out the LED lamps, and replace with one halogen lamp, just to rule that possibility out.

Seen LED lamps flash on two way switching, because of the induced voltage, but only on a new installation or if the lamps have been replaced with LED.

Possibly the LED lamps are a little bit temperamental now with age, like some of the old gits on this forum :) . Could try taking out the LED lamps, and replace with one halogen lamp, just to rule that possibility out.
could even go back to gas lighting. o_Oo_O.

Hi. Thanks for the suggestion, I'm changing the switches tomorrow and will also try the halogen test. Must be something simple, it's been working for so long without any problem, and to be honest the bulbs haven't had much use as they are in the conservatory.

Ah ha conservatory ..... Moisture ingress .........
That did cross my mind, but there is no moisture there. It only has one outside wall and a roof as it links two projections of the main building. It's also centrally heated.

When it was first built there was a lot of moisture there as the walls and floor were drying out, but no problems with the electrics 'till now.

Hi Rodders, is this lighting circuit supervised by RCD? What else is attached to it? It doesn't take much to light LEDs and flashing one day then moving to full brightness the next may indicate a worsening leakage. I have seen a faulty bathroom extractor fan making the LED downlights dimly glow and flash. Isolated the fan, flashing stopped. Good hunting and remember to safe isolate and recheck everything before you touch it :)

It sounds from your description very like the actuator bar of the intermediate switch has broken so that the switch will not operate, however when you push on the switch this can shift the contacts and cause the flicker.
However this does not necessarily cover the initial flashing unless the actuator was just holding the contacts nearly closed, until the switch was tried and this moved the obstruction, but left the lights on.

Reply to Intermediate circuit problem in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net