Discuss Is 4mm heat resistant cable okay for 7.5kw range cooker? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

chris140

DIY
Reaction score
The electrician that installed my cooker circuit put in 10mm cable with a 32a fuse, a 45a cooker switch and 10mm cable to the backplate for behind the cooker. He put this size in as I didn't know what size cooker I was going to be getting.

I ended up getting a 7.4kw range cooker and the electrician has connected it with 4mm heat resistant cable instead from the cooker to the back plate, instead of 6mm. Is this okay, and is it okay with the 10mm cable and 32a fuse?

Thanks

The electrician that installed my cooker circuit put in 10mm cable with a 32a fuse, a 45a cooker switch and 10mm cable to the backplate for behind the cooker. He put this size in as I didn't know what size cooker I was going to be getting.

I ended up getting a 7.4kw range cooker and the electrician has connected it with 4mm heat resistant cable instead from the cooker to the back plate, instead of 6mm. Is this okay, and is it okay with the 10mm cable and 32a fuse?

Thanks
At least he used heat-resistant cable, most just use twin and earth.

i see i misread.... its 7400, not 7200

32.17A.... but still..... never going to pull that much
quite right, allowing for diversity I doubt it will pull 20 amps.

I'm yet to see T&E showing signs of deterioration behind an oven, but it's not the ideal cable for pushing back behind an appliance. Flex is inclined to drop easily behind a kitchen unit and naturally forms itself into position.
Loop of string around the cable, down the back to the space underneath and out the vent that should have been cut in the top of the kickboard. Gently pull on the string as you push the oven back into place.

4mm is absolutely fine, some like to use H07 some t&e. MF instructions have the last word.
Thanks very much for replying, been really worried about using cooker as I will be doing baking using both ovens and then may have to put something under the grill for my sons dinner at the same time, so cooker could often be running at full power, that's what I bought that model for.

cooker should not pull more than 32A
cable if it is H07RN-F as below is good for 35A
however as said before, it will not draw 32A in use for long, even if you have everything turned on.
Nothing to worry about.
1713549180960.png

Reply to Is 4mm heat resistant cable okay for 7.5kw range cooker? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net