Discuss Is drilling rafters OK? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Regarding the rafters I'm going to have to remove the wiring, then I'll baton / strengthen the main support, put Celotex in the cavities the re-wire under the window.

Did you tell the electrician that there is to be celotex between the rafters? They needed to know because it will affect the cable size required for every cable in the ceiling.

Don't remove and alter the cable yourself, get the electrician to do it. Tampering with their work is not going to do you any favours in the long term.

Tampering with their work is not going to give you a headache caused my a 4lb. club hammer.

corrected that for you, dave. :)

Regarding the rafters I'm going to have to remove the wiring, then I'll baton / strengthen the main support, put Celotex in the cavities the re-wire under the window.

It seems to me you need to speak to your electrician regarding the design of the installation and who is responsible for that.

If you want to do the design you can help with the choice of equipment locations of switches, sockets and lights. As for choice of cables and routing your electrician must do this or another company brought in to do the design.

I had a customer who made it a requirement that I wasn't to drill through any joists at all. It would mean lots of chasing of walls. It meant nearly twice as much cable used and twice the work. I changed the quote accordingly and he changed his mind.

I see nothing wrong with what has been done in the photos.

You say it's 200 years old but is it a listed building? If so then you may have to seek other advice from the local authority conservation office depending upon the nature of the listing in terms of significance.

There is a publication from CIBSE giving guidance on installing M&E services in historic buildings. It's not cheap but the only source of reference I know of. CIBSE - Building Services Knowledge - http://www.cibse.org/Knowledge/knowledge-items/detail?id=a0q20000008I7ocAAC.
It has a lot of examples of how to do thing in it and I recall there is some information on notching joists (I don't recall seeing rafters) and putting in strengtheners.

I fully agree with Davesparks and Pete above. And if you take any of the electricians work out to do yourself then any safety certification, including Building Regulations compliance provided is void and you bear responsibility yourself.

Last edited:
Clearly the electrician has taken trouble to route it this way drilling those timbers old and hard as they are would seem to be the more difficult route. He will have had a good reason and the plumbing runs seem to be that reason. What is questionable is that someone, apparently not an electrician, thinks it ethical to join an electricians forum and criticise his electrician. Is there no communication between them about this rather minor issue? The proposed battens fixed to the timber to strengthen them as said is incorrect. The timbers don't seem to need this, the battens most likely just required as fixings for the insulating boards etc. There is nothing worse than a client who has to prove some sort of superiority over what they like to refer to as a "tradesperson" simply discussing the matter would rectify the situation.

Just looked at the photo again and took a little more notice of where the cable is run. Are the cables going through rafters or joists because I seem to recal an issue with drilling rafters. Not sure though. Can anyone clarify?
I hope I haven't made a boo boo on previous post.

Why Is everyone making such a big deal of it?
We all do the same, drill the bloody hole, feed your cable through it.
Then just make sure it's hid behind the insulation before the building inspector comes

Under Regulation L, you can drill through the middle of solid wood joists in the UK Read it as part of my current electrical course fairly recently, but in America you can't drill their composite (not solid) absolutely correct on the composites with an exception if you can get an engineer to approve a location that he deems is safe(usually within 6 inches(15cm) from the vertical support. It's covered in building code and not electrical here. Generally drilling has to be 1/3 or less of width of the beam /wood being drilled and done in the center of the piece being drilled. that is a 2x6 could have a 2 inch max hole drill dead center. More of a concern for plumbers than sparkys here. Notching is allowed with protective metal plates for the wiring but I prefer holes over notching as it is logic that in the place of the notch you are creating a different size of beam if you notch deeply and a source of weakness in support.

I'd be wary of drilling holes in the rafters of flimsy modern roof trusses, but the OP's rafters were built before the pencil-neck accountants stuck their oars in to "design" structures that would just about stand up to their load bearing capabilities until someone farted.

The idea in the regs about drilling the centre of a beam/rafter (rafter is an inclined beam!) is that it is the neutral axis in bending - there is very little stress within the neutral axis fibres. However shear stress is more important at the ends near the areas of bearing as it is maximum at these points and so drilling/notching should be avoided here. As those rafters are only taking the roof weight and snow loading considerations it is unlikely for those sizes to be a problem in shear in your situation.

However, I would have taken the cable through the thick fillet section on top of the beam. It appears deep enough to miss battern nails.

Reply to Is drilling rafters OK? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net