Discuss Is it acceptable to 'jumper' speaker wire through a switch? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

ChrizK

DIY
Reaction score
Firstly, I hope it is ok to discuss the wiring of speakers here. TBH my ignorance in all things electrical knows no bounds, and I am guessing it is a discussion about ohms, of which I have less idea about than watts.
To that end, I would appreciate any responses in the simplest of terms. Once again, I apologise if this is the wrong forum, as I suspect it is attended by many large brains that would rather speak in 'scientific' terms. However, my question is more 'theory' rather than 'straight electrical'.

The question relates to using a sound system with a TV on one wall which is perpendicular to a projector screen on another. The TV has Front Left and Front Right speakers located above it ...the idea is to 'switch' the Front Right to becoming Front Left (the projector), and Front Left to a separate speaker.
I bought a two-way speaker switch box from Amazon. I guess it is obvious to say that this is normally used to switch the input to two pairs of output.
In my case, I have speaker cable running to a single speaker on Pair(1) Right BUT ALSO 'jumpering' to Pair(2) Left.
As you may surmise, Pair(1) Left goes to a speaker, and Pair(2) Right goes to a speaker ...so three speakers in total.

If I think of this as 'direction of flow' when I select Pair(1), the Input(amp) is directed to Pair(1) Right speaker, and is 'dead ended' to Pair(2).
I turn off Pair(1) and select Pair(2), in which case, Input(amp) is directed to Pair(2) Left speaker, and Pair(2) Right jumpered to the twisted/join in Pair(1) speaker.

Hopefully I have explained that well enough (don't think a picture would actually provide any clarity)

This works ...but, sometimes my speakers just 'cut out'. Strangely (and please don't shout at me), if I increase the volume on the TV, it suddenly comes on and I deafened until I quickly turn the volume down. My initial theory was that it was the amp cutting out, but I considered that turning the volume up shouldn't resolve the problem, and so I believe it to be the switch.

So, my question is 'could this be considered a legitimate use of the switch, or am I doing something so stupid that I should expect it to cut-out?'

Thanks for your time.

If turning the volume up cures it then I'd hazard a guess at a loose connection somewhere.
In my ignorance, I was thinking along the same lines. Given that the speaker wire is just terminated into standard 'grips', I was thinking that it is possibly an internal fault with the switch. However, I was concerned that I was causing my own problem by attempting to do something that was fundamentally 'silly'.

The switch does allow Pair(1) and Pair(2) to be selected, ie both on. I suspect this might cause issues and so I have put a note on it to say switch both off first, before selecting the required pair. Not wishing to blow a speaker ...or even the amp(?), I have never tried having them both on.
Theoretically (appreciating that you have to visualise what I am attempting), could I damage the speaker or amp by having both pairs 'on'?

The main way any damage could be done when combining speakers is if you have multiple speakers wired in parallel and it reduces the impedance (resistance to all intents and purposes in this case) to a value lower than the amplifier can handle. This could damage the amplifier.

The main way any damage could be done when combining speakers is if you have multiple speakers wired in parallel and it reduces the impedance (resistance to all intents and purposes in this case) to a value lower than the amplifier can handle. This could damage the amplifier.
If my diagram is sufficient, is that effectively what I am doing?
Given the switch allows both pairs to be 'on', would it also result in the reduction in impedance you mention?
Or, could it actually enhance it and negate the problem?
If so, given my 'misuse' of the switch, could it make things better or worse?

TBH This is where Ohms start to lose me ...why the reduction can cause damage ... although your wording perhaps has given me a clue. Is it that having more and more speakers reduces the resistance, so 'more gets through'? Again, I am not totally sure 'of what' ...is it equivalent to more 'power' getting through, and therefore the much spoken about 'blowing up the amp'?

Reply to Is it acceptable to 'jumper' speaker wire through a switch? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net