Discuss Is this within regs? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

IMO the poster of this thread is not a tradesman, ffs don't all give him a paint by numbers solution................

Please define tradesman.
Im someone who spent 3 yrs at college obtaining qualifications. Usually a little more respected in here than the Electrical Trainee short courses. All im after is advice on completing work that i don't totally feel out of my depth with. If anything was all too far out of my depth i wouldnt attempt it. Im even going down route of signing up to one of those schemes. (Or should i say scams?)

Yes I agree with you, but at least he did ask , took a ribbing and got on with it and tried to make it better. He could of just left it an said nowt, and the pic would have found it's way on here eventually. Just needs to get a bit help or do some research to see what products are available. We know nothing about him , he may have experience in other avenues and has not encountered this before , I'm not saying it's right , just that he had the good sense to take on board advice he was given.

Thanks!
This is exactly my situation!

I'm afraid to say, if I'd of given you that small job to do and you'd of produced that workmanship and you were employed as an electrician (tradesman) I'd of sent you packing (down the road/pumped) you would of not been up to the standard of a graded electrical operative IMO and maybe you could stay on as a trainee lol

I'm afraid to say, if I'd of given you that small job to do and you'd of produced that workmanship and you were employed as an electrician (tradesman) I'd of sent you packing (down the road/pumped) you would of not been up to the standard of a graded electrical operative IMO and maybe you could stay on as a trainee lol

If he had been working with you I have NO doubt it would be perfect -- grovel grovel :)

Fair enough, but you may have been there to answer my questions if I was employed by you. I came on here and asked as no one else with me.

Ribbing? Who's had a ribbing in this thread? This is the most gentle forum I've ever joined!

You lot handle idiots without threatening violence or anything!

I can honestly say that when I saw the OP and read the thread from the beginning I was under the impression he is a dodgy diyer having a go at his own outdoor electrics.
If you are indeed carrying this out for a client who is under the impression you are a skilled tradesmen and is paying you as a skilled tradesman then I personally would advise your client to call trading standards.

I personally think it is unacceptable to carry out work on a clients property when you have openly admitted it is not something you are 100% confident with.
Have you told your customer that you are, by your own admission on here, a little bit out of your depth and are asking a bunch of people you don't know on the internet for advice after you are part way through the work?

When you fill in your certificate will you be ticking the famous 'some bloke on the internet said it was ok' box?

Doing a three year course at college and gaining a theory qualification is a good thing, don't get me wrong, but it is just a qualification in the theory side of the job. The practical side of the job is a whole different ball game and requires its own three years of training.
The qualification for being an electrician these days is made up of three parts: the C+G theory certificate (2330), the NVQ certificate (2356?) and the certficate of completion of an apprenticeship.

Got there in the end??

almost there, put a small angle onto the banjo so the gland fits square and secure, also it seems you have used brass knuts as spacer for your 4mm brass slotted bolt, I would rather cut the bolt shorter and have it so the slotted side of the screw/bolt is at the top for ease of tightening, it looks as though this job you are doing is for an external supply and you are using this as a joint box to change from T&E from the house to Swa as it exits the box, I personally wouldn't use a galv box as some suggested in this situation, what you have done (almost complete) using an Ip rated enclosure and ensuring that you have earthed the armourings as well as the individual earth core (not taped up yet use the black taped up as cpc, grey taped up as neutral),

good of you to seek advice and take the criticism in a good stride can't fault you mate

almost there, put a small angle onto the banjo so the gland fits square and secure, also it seems you have used brass knuts as spacer for your 4mm brass slotted bolt, I would rather cut the bolt shorter and have it so the slotted side of the screw/bolt is at the top for ease of tightening, it looks as though this job you are doing is for an external supply and you are using this as a joint box to change from T&E from the house to Swa as it exits the box, I personally wouldn't use a galv box as some suggested in this situation, what you have done (almost complete) using an Ip rated enclosure and ensuring that you have earthed the armourings as well as the individual earth core (not taped up yet use the black taped up as cpc, grey taped up as neutral),

good of you to seek advice and take the criticism in a good stride can't fault you mate

When you see the lash ups of some of the "professionals" for real and from stock pics , at least he knew he was wrong and tried to do something about it. If he carries on that way hopefully we won't be looking at any of his pics in the future.

I think that the point many of us are making is simply this....
Why are you doing a job which you then had to ask the opinion of a forum about, before making it half-decent?

I think if he had come right out and asked how to gland off he would have had an even harder time. I for one would have ignored the post.

Most people would not have a clue how to gland SWA without some training , so I am giving him the benefit of the doubt, and assumed that he had SOME experience.

Reply to Is this within regs? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net