Discuss Isolation switch for boiler supply? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

You are correct, hence why I said that if the CU was readily accessible, then no other switch needed. But you're right in the sense that it is common practice (often a must) to provide a local means of switching off, just not on this occasion.

In Most properties the CU is hidden away in a corner cupboard with massive furniture in front, or a big TV trolly with a big 60" TV on it. You move it at your own risk. That's why a boiler/washing machine/ dish washer DP spur is a must at the time of new install and is best practice.

Well that what was quite a healthy debate and leaves me with quite a bit to think about. Thanks as ever to all respondents for your replies. This whole development is turning into a can of worms with other issues such as lack of bonding. I'm booked to do two EICR's for householders and i'm not sure what may come as as a result!

You could always swap the MCB for a 3A RCBO (if you can get one!), put a notice on the boiler for where to isolate it and that would keep everyone happy!

No, but the DP main switch will.

The use of an MCB and/or main switch and/or RCD is a perfectly acceptable means of switching off an appliance for mechanical maintainence. Nowhere does it state in BS 7671 that switching off
/isolation for mechanical maintainence must be provided locally. As stated above, isolation can be achieved via the DP main switch.

In response to the OP, if the CU is readily accessible then the install complies with Reg
132.15.2 so no need to fit any other switches.

Maybe not, but every copy of the boiler manufacturers instructions that I've ever seen clearly states that either a switched fused spur or a plug top & socket fitted with a 3 amp fuse shall be used.

I was always under the impression that the manufacturers instructions were to be followed over & above anything else.

the reson we don't fit switched sockets is so that numpty customer can't inadvertently switch it off and then get a £120 bill from BG to switch it back on. why then is a switched FCU acceptale ?

No, but the DP main switch will.

The use of an MCB and/or main switch and/or RCD is a perfectly acceptable means of switching off an appliance for mechanical maintainence. Nowhere does it state in BS 7671 that switching off
/isolation for mechanical maintainence must be provided locally. As stated above, isolation can be achieved via the DP main switch.

In response to the OP, if the CU is readily accessible then the install complies with Reg
132.15.2 so no need to fit any other switches.

Surely going by this, fan isolators aren't necessary then? Daz

the reson we don't fit switched sockets is so that numpty customer can't inadvertently switch it off and then get a £120 bill from BG to switch it back on. why then is a switched FCU acceptale ?

Did the world go mad when I was in a drunken stupor!
Hahahaha! Love it!

Only 62 to go...I'll see you there GS :)

Champion bonny lad!!

It's bloody lonely - and cold - in there this time of year. Maybe we can have a game of Tumbleweed Football to keep ourselves warm?

I'm all toasty and warm sat next to my recently installed multi fuel burner stove thingy, fitted by myself complete with totally dodgy flue work! Probably contravened Part Fknowswhat and unnotified. Let me burn in Hell!

Surely going by this, fan isolators aren't necessary then? Daz

They aren't. Unless your khazi has no windows and the fan runs off the lighting circuit, in which case the Electrician's Guide to the Building Regs. suggests the fan should have it's own means of isolation so you don't carry out maintenance in the dark. Alternatively, wear a headtorch.

How about an engraved label on the front of the boiler identifying the circuit at the consumer unit and if required a FCU next too the consumer unit marked 'boiler'

Reply to Isolation switch for boiler supply? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net