Discuss JIB rules - 'stand down' please help asap! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A company can apply to the JIB for relaxation to have the rules that are written within the hanbook changed to suit their economic situation, especially in the present climate of uncertainty and carrot dangling. But they are suppose to let you know of their intentions, so you get the chance to prepare to pull your oars in.

The last time I worked direct for a JIB firm was back in 91, and they asked us all to a meeting and let us know of their intentions, and for starters, they would be looking at some volunteer redundancies, and also compulsory redundancies further down the line if work load didn't improve. They also asked us to work 45 hours at flat time to start with, and no expenses. This allowed them to lay off about 30% of their work force, and keep on the rest working within the above relaxation of the JIB agrrement.

So if its not in the handbook, call them and ask them if an application has been lodged for a relaxation of the national agreement?

I dont think you will find anything about "standown" allowance. The company are paying you without you earning anything for them i would love to be in a situation where the company is that desperate to keep me. In these times keep your head down get a book and be gratefull you have a job.

They seem like a decent company to me, they could just say there's no work at the moment and lay you off with no pay til there is or find someone else when work picks up, if they're paying you to sit round the office doing nothing then they must think a lot of you. I would just put up with it if i was you, there's a lot of good lads with no work at the moment that would love to be in your position.

Looking at it from your firms point of view they are doing 1 of 2 things.

1 - trying to sicken you so you put your notice in, unlikely as they could just lay/pay you off if they wanted you off their books.

2 - being careful not to give you something they then have to give to everyone when times are slack. If they allow you to stay at home when there's no work what's to stop the Birmingham based lads saying they want to do the same? I know your circumstances are different to theirs but they will say "that's not my problem, why should I have to come into the office if he doesn't?"

Seems to me they are trying to be fair here, good on them for keeping you on despite the fact they are losing your wages every week. They are treating every employee the same which is to be applauded these days.

I sent my own application off about 2/3 weeks ago.
I used to live in northampton when i started with them. I worked for them for 10 months before through an agency. They always wanted to take me on but couldnt because was unsure of future work load. So i went to work else where 2 months later one of the bosses called me up and told me to come for an interview, garenteed job. I asked to be put down oxford so i would get travel expenses, because all thier other site are in the birmingham area and because the office is also there i wouldnt get anything. ya no probs we will keep you there as long as we can i was told. so it takes me 3 hours a day travelling and i wanted that time back in my life, so i moved to oxford as im only renting. The rent i pay at oxford amounts to the fuel i was paying getting back and forth. so im no better off, only the time in my life. which is what matters to me. hopefully this wont last long.
The reason for me posting here is because i cant find anything in the JIB book or site about stand down and I was wondering if any one knew anything on where they stand on this. Since being at the company I have heard some strange things. So I want to be sure of rules before I open my mouth.

It's a case of you're going to have to take the rough with the smooth, I used to work for a Leeds based company when I lived in Sheffield. the office in leeds was classed as the "shop" so all travel was calculated from there, so when I worked near sheffield, it was good for me, but when the jobs were in Leeds or Bradford I didn't get expenses and I had to leave home earlier. it's just the name of the game, travel is from where you are based which in this case is Birmingham.

I also worked for a JIB company, they paid us from the office which was over 45 miles away and I was walking distance to the job for over a year. When we were transferred to the office it was on the horse time lol

oh man cant believe you are going on about this.

1st they are paying your expenses
2nd you not doing any work
3rd you still getting paid anyway

be careful what you wish for man i say

Can't believe your actually moaning. Getting paid to do nothing??? Most firms would just lay you off.

Being recently qualified does not help too, inexperience and all that. If they could employ you ( just qualified) or a spark with 10 years experience I know who They would pick... The Romanian Electrical Trainee who works for £2 an hour!! Lol

It's a case of you're going to have to take the rough with the smooth, I used to work for a Leeds based company when I lived in Sheffield. the office in leeds was classed as the "shop" so all travel was calculated from there, so when I worked near sheffield, it was good for me, but when the jobs were in Leeds or Bradford I didn't get expenses and I had to leave home earlier. it's just the name of the game, travel is from where you are based which in this case is Birmingham.

I to also knew someone who was the same. He worked for one of the big M&E's with blue hats lived in Sheffield but wasn't based at Sheffield office but at the Leeds office. He was creaming the travel expenses for local work but when travelling to Leeds was costing him. Rough with the smooth! Am I right in thinking that the HVCA for plumbers they get paid travel from home?

Reply to JIB rules - 'stand down' please help asap! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net