• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Joining a cable to be buried in a wall in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

We don't mind an ulterior motive @SJD - it's amazing how you look past the ads as if they are supposed to be there.
Ps I've never written ulterior before in my life, took me a good 30 seconds to spell it and that's with the tech!

Can I be less popular ? ... heat shrink is great, but if it's the stuff I think we all use, as far as I know its not BS rated for cable insulation. Doesn't mean it doesn't work, but 2 layers of heat shrink is not the same insulation as a BASEC 6004 cable (624Y for example). So I think the joint still needs a containment ... I can hear rocks hitting the roof already o_O

Own solder fed in. I originally took the insulation off of insulated butt crimps and soldered because I didn't trust the crimp itself, now I've got so used to the 'ritual' that I just get on with it. I found a good source of non insulated through crimps.

Thanks, I'll perhaps give this a try next time.

Can I be less popular ? ... heat shrink is great, but if it's the stuff I think we all use, as far as I know its not BS rated for cable insulation. Doesn't mean it doesn't work, but 2 layers of heat shrink is not the same insulation as a BASEC 6004 cable (624Y for example). So I think the joint still needs a containment ... I can hear rocks hitting the roof already o_O

Interesting point, I'd have to look at the label the next time I buy some to see what it is or isn't approved to.

DNOs make extensive use of joint kits which are insulated and sheathed with adhesive lined heatshrink somclearly a suitable product exists,

If you're soldering and you're concerned about dry joints caused by dirty or oxidised cables, get yourself a flux pen and dab a little on the copper before soldering. Can help immensely.

And a side note about using blowtorches... make sure your insurance covers you for using them. When I took out mine, I was asked about hot tools, which included blowtorches, and whether I used them. I have a heat gun for shrinking which doesn't fit the hot tool category because it doesn't use flame.

If you're soldering and you're concerned about dry joints caused by dirty or oxidised cables, get yourself a flux pen and dab a little on the copper before soldering. Can help immensely.

Is this the same as the tub of flux I use whenever I do a bit of home DIY plumbing and solder some copper pipes?

And a side note about using blowtorches... make sure your insurance covers you for using them. When I took out mine, I was asked about hot tools, which included blowtorches, and whether I used them. I have a heat gun for shrinking which doesn't fit the hot tool category because it doesn't use flame.

I did once try to use a small blowtorch with an attachment but didn't get it to work properly, so I stick with an electric heat gun, which I much prefer. The only downside is the times when there's no convenient socket nearby due to the work underway!

Is this the same as the tub of flux I use whenever I do a bit of home DIY plumbing and solder some copper pipes?

Not sure about chemical composition, but I suspect the paste is somewhat more aggressive. The flux pens I use are designed for printed circuit board work, like mounting surface mount devices in hot air rework scenarios.

I did once try to use a small blowtorch with an attachment but didn't get it to work properly, so I stick with an electric heat gun, which I much prefer. The only downside is the times when there's no convenient socket nearby due to the work underway!

Granted if the whole house is off it's a bit tricky, but my long extension lead and heat gun travel together :)

Thanks for that SC ! I was practicing my "really Sir, it's just my hair dryer" speech but it looks like I can bring it out of the closet now :)

No Westie, the heat gun, the heat gun ...

My household insurance allows me to use one of these Master Class Deluxe Gas Kitchen Blow Torch Professional Cooks * Brand New * | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/192097300088?chn=ps&dispItem=1&adgroupid=45192390362&rlsatarget=pla-331477173012&abcId=1129006&adtype=pla&merchantid=114891207&poi=&googleloc=1007245&device=c&campaignid=861899495&crdt=0 for my crème bulee. I just take the joint to my house, sorted :rolleyes:

I think I've been sucked into the double post issue! It posts but leaves the post to make you think it hasn't been. I thought you were all just careless!

Yes, it's a pain in the posterior, I've nearly fallen foul of it a few times. You click 'Post Reply', the little spinner widget appears in the top right corner to show it's working and then it just stays there. Maybe the scripts are timing out on the server or something?

(@Dan - Just to let you know, if you didn't already, there is an issue with posting)

The only thing I use a blowtorch is for roasting marshmallows :)

If your happy with the crimped or soldered joint,you could use a short length of plastic pipe to cover the joint,put adaptors on the ends to enable a stuffing gland to act as support
Personally I would be reluctant not to have a box and blank plate for enclosing the joint

Is the damaged cable a switch drop or socket? Sorry just read the opening post, personally I would avoid joining if I could, if you are going to dig a dirty great hole in the wall to repair a cable, I would go the whole hog and replace the entire piece to where you can effect a decent MF joint that wont need burying in the plaster, I appreciate it's allowable, but not my cup of tea I'm afraid.

Last edited:
There are times when there is no alternative, but to 'bury' a crimped or soldered joint. I did such when a chap drilled into cable above socket. Flat roof extension, filled with Celotex with no space for JB.

He was in the process of putting up a picture frame, we could of turned it into a bookshelf, I suppose :eek:

If your happy with the crimped or soldered joint,you could use a short length of plastic pipe to cover the joint,put adaptors on the ends to enable a stuffing gland to act as support
Personally I would be reluctant not to have a box and blank plate for enclosing the joint

I suppose a small length of conduit with a couple of adaptors and glands on the end would be a good choice.

That's a nice idea and a great tip. Thanks :)

Reply to Joining a cable to be buried in a wall in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back