Discuss Just ingenious........... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Shivery working in there? I’ve been in a few places like that in my time worked in the old clock belltowers and in old police stations with the old cells still intact but used as storage now the worst of them all had to be the tunnel that the executioner/funeral man used to take the bodies of the people who were hung in the public square back down underneath the town buildings in Greenock that was a very eerie place. Horrible feeling working in that tunnel unbelievably cold and strange.

We went down the disused tube tunnels between Borough and London Bridge. They were used as air raid shelters in WW2 and you could see the remains of the old war posters and 'graffiti' from the 'residents' at the time, where they slept, the toilet blocks etc etc. Fascinating.

Yes , I don't care what anyone says , when you are working in places like that you definitely have company.

We went down the disused tube tunnels between Borough and London Bridge. They were used as air raid shelters in WW2 and you could see the remains of the old war posters and 'graffiti' from the 'residents' at the time, where they slept, the toilet blocks etc etc. Fascinating.
Places like that I could spend all day I used to love working for the council round here as your got to see places most people didn’t know existed, places that hadn’t been seen in a good few years and some real hidden gems which should have really been open to the public

Places like that I could spend all day I used to love working for the council round here as your got to see places most people didn’t know existed, places that hadn’t been seen in a good few years and some real hidden gems which should have really been open to the public

I would have loved to have walked around the old torpedo factory in Alexandria before they destroyed it . There is some weird and wonderful history where you live.
I used to play in Bruce's cave as a boy.

I would have loved to have walked around the old torpedo factory in Alexandria before they destroyed it . There is some weird and wonderful history where you live.
I used to play in Bruce's cave as a boy.
I got a glimpse of the old coal power station in inverkip before it was demolished it’s facinating.
I watch stuff like that on YouTube all the time all the abandoned hospitals, schools houses even banks.
The coolest place so far I ever worked in Greenock was testing an old post office the amount of safes in one small building was unbelievable two the size of small bedrooms. It was a very old building probably originally built specifically for the post office. Must have cost an absolute fortune to build the big safe doors were a two man job to open and close.

I got a glimpse of the old coal power station in inverkip before it was demolished it’s facinating

I have seen films of the old power station equipment , as you say , it is fascinating.
A member that used to be on here collects old industrial machinery , I was addicted to his posts LOl. He has some superb stuff .

Here’s one I done a good few times up and relamp the clock faces.
161F85B4-0B19-425A-8A77-736B5C181245.jpeg

The access was through a cramped staircase in the corner of the attic plant room after climbing what seems like thousands of stairs just behind the reception desk the cramped staircase led you to a big room in the bottom of the tower there a massive wooden beam up in there with names carved into it from the 1900s and mine of course..... halfway up the rickety old spiral wooden stairs is the clocks movement contained within a glass cage. Really wish I taken had a picture of that. And then onwards and upwards through a hatch in the floor into the centre of the clock you had to squeeze through underneath the iron poles bonding the clock hands on and climb right out into the face of the clock to relamp the two 2ft IP65 fittings that lit up the face. First time I done it I was sure I was going to fall right out of the glass in the clock face you actually stand on the rim of the clock when your out there. :confused:

Here’s one I done a good few times up and relamp the clock faces. View attachment 46206
The access was through a cramped staircase in the corner of the attic plant room after climbing what seems like thousands of stairs just behind the reception desk the cramped staircase led you to a big room in the bottom of the tower there a massive wooden beam up in there with names carved into it from the 1900s and mine of course..... halfway up the rickety old spiral wooden stairs is the clocks movement contained within a glass cage. Really wish I taken had a picture of that. And then onwards and upwards through a hatch in the floor into the centre of the clock you had to squeeze through underneath the iron poles bonding the clock hands on and climb right out into the face of the clock to relamp the two 2ft IP65 fittings that lit up the face. First time I done it I was sure I was going to fall right out of the glass in the clock face you actually stand on the rim of the clock when your out there. :confused:

I bet that got your attention.
That is a beautiful building . I am sure I have seen it .
Where is it . It seem very familiar to me.

Yes you got it in one . Glenn and Tony , two of my favourite people neither of them mince their words.
Glen and Tony had some amazing stuff , I hope they still have it.

Tony is still doing it on another forum. cough cough TEF cough.
Glen has probably found better things to do :D

Tony is still doing it on another forum. cough cough TEF cough.
Glen has probably found better things to do :D

Glen was back on here a little while ago, but , as you say he seems to have moved on .
I will have to get back in touch with Tony , I have sort of drifted off . :)

Reply to Just ingenious........... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net