Discuss Kitchen Light Circuit???? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

:eek:Sorry chaps, are you on a wind up ! Conduit system wiring is your basic 2-plate , why would you save cable, in this case 1 feed 3 s/l to switch. Also who said anything about inaccessible JB's Light 1 is a pendant, no JB,Lights 2,3,4,5 downlights,75mm hole in ceiling easy access to JB, Light s 6,7 pelmet lights <JB fixed to bottom of cupboard.( REMOVED RACIST COMMENT)!!!:eek:

Baldsparkie, EDDY CURRENTS are you sure!
You're not Baldkitchenfitter in disguise are you?;)

Last edited:
:eek:Sorry chaps, are you on a wind up ! Conduit system wiring is your basic 2-plate , why would you save cable, in this case 1 feed 3 s/l to switch. Also who said anything about inaccessible JB's Light 1 is a pendant, no JB,Lights 2,3,4,5 downlights,75mm hole in ceiling easy access to JB, Light s 6,7 pelmet lights <JB fixed to bottom of cupboard. !!!:eek:

We are still waiting for you to explain why taking neutrals to light switches is bad practice?

As I said earlier there are no regs against it, so do as you like. If you think it's OK then go ahead,
but please tell me why would you take neutral to switch if wiring in conduit.

Don't tell me you tube to the switch first !!:eek:

Last edited:
:eek:Sorry chaps, are you on a wind up ! Conduit system wiring is your basic 2-plate , why would you save cable, in this case 1 feed 3 s/l to switch. Also who said anything about inaccessible JB's Light 1 is a pendant, no JB,Lights 2,3,4,5 downlights,75mm hole in ceiling easy access to JB, Light s 6,7 pelmet lights <JB fixed to bottom of cupboard. !!!:eek:

I mentioned inaccessable JB's as a reason to take neutrals down to switches.

Are you saying that you connect the downlights to JBs. If so, then this is considered bad practice and not in accordance with BS7671, if the JBs are not fixed and the cables to the downlights are not clipped, as JB's do not have cord grips. If they are fixed and all cables clipped then I fail to see how they will be accessable for maintenance and inspection and testing, through a 75mm hole.

As I said earlier there are no regs against it, so do as you like. If you think it's OK then go ahead,
but please tell me why would you take neutral to switch if wiring in conduit.

Don't tell me you tube to the switch first !!:eek:
Why would you want to wire a kitchen in conduit, it would'nt look very nice.

Last edited:
Hey up 1969, your drawing is the same as Brightsparks, only you have added an extra bit of twin and earth at the switch ! You only need to link the common at the switch, it doesn't need a neutral with it.

I've been JBing DL's for ages Saveloy, the connectors on them are usually rubbish, and rarely can you get two twins in, ( although i have noticed recently they are generally getting better ) if the JB is sat on plaster board can't see the problem.

Yeah going good cheers bud, been working with a spark from Divizes. Did a kitchen rewire tuesday last week, then 2 bed bungalow rewire on wed, thur and fri. all been good. How about you?:D

Anymore stupid racist type remarks in the forums and your account will closed..NO excuses just don't do it.

Any probs with this then pm ME.....

Well done lads,

We leave you all for 5 minutes and this happens.

Please don't make Admin come in here to sort you out.

They have enough to do as it is.

It makes us look bad, and i dont do bad.

As Dave said, do it again and you will be banned.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been JBing DL's for ages Saveloy, the connectors on them are usually rubbish, and rarely can you get two twins in, ( although i have noticed recently they are generally getting better ) if the JB is sat on plaster board can't see the problem.

The problem is that there are no cord grips on normal JB's. So unless the JB is fixed and the cable clipped, there is a chance that the terminations will be strained. To counter this problem Ashley have produced a D/L box with cord grips,( Some also use a chocbox) . Using a normal JB is a no no under BS7671

Unless you've wired them to short the terminations are never going to come under any strain. Like i said the JB is sat

on the plasterboard next to the fitting. I thought every spark in the land used 201's to do downlights before the

invention of the chocbox? When did they become a no no in the regs book? Cheers.

BS 7671 17th REG 522.8.5
Every cable or conductor shall be supported in such a way that it is not exposed to undue mechanical strain and so that there is no appreciable mechanical strain on the terminations of the conductors, account being taken of mechanical strain imposed by by the supported weight of the cable or conductor itself.

Even if the JB is sat next to the downlighter after installation, there is a concern that, during installation the terminals could be subject to mechanical strain, at the terminals during installation and/ or during maintenance. This is because the sheath of the cable is not restrained as there are no cord grips on a JB.

I don't write the regs. If you are happy with using JBs thats fair enough, but they do not comply with regs in the way that you are using them.

So am i right in thinking that the round brown/black/white junction box's are no longer alloud under bs7671???? I can defently see the resoning around it. Strangly this is what we where taught to use this year in college.

Ashley

So am i right in thinking that the round brown/black/white junction box's are no longer alloud under bs7671???? I can defently see the resoning around it. Strangly this is what we where taught to use this year in college.

Ashley

Junction boxes are still perfectly acceptable under BS7671 when used in the correct manner.
They should be readily accessable for maintenance and testing. ie in loft spaces. They should also be permantly fixed (screwed to a joist) and not free floating. All cables entering the JB should be clipped so as to avoid strain on the terminations. Personally I try to avoid using them at all, but they are still ok to be used in the right situation.

Reply to Kitchen Light Circuit???? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net