Discuss Kitchen wiring problems in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi - dare I ask what rating cook top / oven is planned to be attached to the diagonal cable? Given that effort, I'm wondering if the cable has been properly sized ...

Thanks people. Not looking too good is it? The diagonal cables run down to almost floor level. So the hob will not be sitting directly below double sockets. I don’t know what to do now. If it’s that bad I don’t want the guy back to redo it. He was hear for 2 days, done the sockets , cut a trench in the floor for wiring to the other side of the room for the Cooker, and fitted a new consumer board under the stairs. That was 700 quid.

I'd start by asking them to move the diagonal cable back into a vertical zone and see what happens. Probably just being lazy...

What certs have you been given?

Good point @Murdoch
Hi OP: Did the electrician give you an electrical test certificate after he had finished the work?
Who installed the consumer unit? Whats the reason for using a 16A breaker (13) for the downstairs sockets?

Thanks people. Not looking too good is it? The diagonal cables run down to almost floor level. So the hob will not be sitting directly below double sockets. I don’t know what to do now. If it’s that bad I don’t want the guy back to redo it. He was hear for 2 days, done the sockets , cut a trench in the floor for wiring to the other side of the room for the Cooker, and fitted a new consumer board under the stairs. That was 700 quid.

There was a time when a diagonal route from cooker control to outlet, was often done, perhaps he's re-used the original chase? But now the ovens moved, he should have moved the chase.

What is the 'trench' thing about?

I've never come across a consumer unit brand called Danson before..quick google looks like an Ebay jobbie. I wouldn't fit a consumer unit like that for reasons of onward compatibility.

Yep,it certainly will hamper any future repairs/additions,as they have not got a comprehensive or startling range of DB accessories...

Hi OP. Any change of a reply to my questions in post #27.....

The wall will be tiled, yes. The small trench chased into the floor is for the double electric oven in the housing on the other side of the kitchen. And the guy was a local fella in his 30,s. Certs will be issued next week

A diagonal chase is acceptable if any of the list below applies.
The cable is at a depth greater than 50mm.
The cable incorporates an earthed metallic sheath.
The cable is installed in earthed conduit or trunking.
The cable is mechanically protected so as to prevent penetration by screws or nails.

A small trench chased into the floor might be vulnerable in a number of ways...movement, moisture, settlement, cracking, but if in a suitable conduit, maybe ok?

Reply to Kitchen wiring problems in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net