Discuss L and N markings on front of RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

No that's not right.
They are both 'monitored' like a clamp meter.

Only when there is an imbalance will the residual current be noticed.
View attachment 16327

That is basically a simplified illustration diagram. If you get the chance, open up a duff unit your going to bin and check the actual internal arrangements...

Well the question to answer then, is Why would the manufacturers bother to mark connection posts?? They wouldn't mark if their was no reason, that would be a cost loss... lol!!

Geoff, I can't remember seeing an RCD with a marking on a pole, what make is that Bud?

edit I now see it is Volex, never used one of those TBH

Just remembered i have 3 makes of RCD in the car (Contractors submitted samples) , so i've braved the rain to go check myself. ...Hager, Gweiss and Aoelec, ....All three have the L and N marked top and bottom..

Just remembered i have 3 makes of RCD in the car (Contractors submitted samples) , so i've braved the rain to go check myself. ...Hager, Gweiss and Aoelec, ....All three have the L and N marked top and bottom..

I meant without a marking, sorry fella, was agreeing with you this time, typing too fast and not looking properly haha

Well, ...i think i'll stick with connecting such marked devices (of any description) as indicated by the manufacturer. You lot can do as you please!! lol!!

The Volex RCDs don't have markings.

I suppose because one is on the left and one is on the right but I would think they are the same inside.

I believe you Geoff, I have never seen a volex RCD, I gave up on volex after seeing the range of kit they make, appalling, they should be banned here haha

The Volex RCDs don't have markings.

I suppose because one is on the left and one is on the right but I would think they are the same inside.

How do you think other manufacturers CU/RCD's work then, having the same arrangement as your top of the range Volex? eg, ...2 RCD's one on the right and one on the left?

I crossed this issue today funnily enough.

Existing board where so numpty had swapped the RCCB device out for a MAIN SWITCH. Due to the configuration of the board and length of existing cables etc I had no option but to label the tails and both RCCB units up. Tails entered the board on the right but labeling on the RCCB device indicates that the board should have had the tails enter from the left.

Testing of the devices afterwards proved that they still operated as intended and a MAIN ISOLATOR has been installed in front of the board.

Square D Domae

Got a crabtree board to go back too after chrimbo, split load, BUT the 80A RCCB is off, taped up. All circuits still fed through it!!!

Neutral bars linked. Can't wait to have a look what some bodger has come up with. And then of course discover & resolve the fault that stumped them

well, if it's in shropshire, it's probably been installed by a conservative MP or a horse. if it smells of sh*t, it's the former.

Its one of thoses houses that had the full treatment; take the light fitting down in the kitchen to find a fist sized hole and the old rose pendant shoved into the void, flex conn'd to the new light.

That is basically a simplified illustration diagram. If you get the chance, open up a duff unit your going to bin and check the actual internal arrangements...

You've now intrigued me. It was my belief that an RCD works on the balance/inbalance of current in and out. ie. the sum of current through Line(s) and Neutral = 0. If you say only one is monitored how does it monitor the inbalance?

At the moment haven't got an old RCD to butcher!

Reply to L and N markings on front of RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net