Discuss Landlord EICR's in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all. I have recently issued a few unsatisfactory reports to different landlords, some of whom are electricians themselves (albeit not self employed/registered with CPS). My question is regarding the required remedial works. If said landlords/electricians carry out their own remedial works which are notifiable, but do not certify or notify BC, can they then get me to carry out another EICR? It seems like people are trying to use EICR's to circumvent certifying and notifying their own work. Thanks in advance

You raise an interesting point. Sounds like a get around. The problem. Is there would be no paper trail . You would have a unsatisfactory and a satisfactory report for the same property just a couple of weeks apart with no reference to any remedial work All ok until something goes wrong and questions start getting ask . I would definitely not be doing a second EICR so close to the first one. Maybe the landlord could get a 3rd party the certify the work for him. I guess the landlord could employ a second electrian the carry out the second EICR . But then the second electrian may find a load more deviations the the first electrian missed and still end up with a unsatisfactory Eicr

If they do notifiable works then they need to be notified. You doing an EICR after they have done notifiable works does not negate the fact the works should have been originally notified.

However you can carry out EICRs at any time. As many as you like as often as you like. It’s not you who has carried out the notifiable work and it’s not you who has failed to inform building control. so yes you can do the EICR, but they shouldn’t be doing notifiable works.

Yep indeed, you are not at fault only doing an EICR, it may irk you that the proper procedure is not being followed ref notification (if indeed the remedial work is actually notifiable) but it`s not your fault and at least it "should" be a lot safer then when you did the first EICR so you can hold your head up. You might think it is totally immoral though and refuse to do it. As hinted your first EICR on a property could be a few weeks after an unsatisfactory EICR by A N Other and you might not be aware of it. It does leave a paper trail and the miscreant might be brought to account sometime in the future - but I doubt it. I think, at worst, if LABC find un-notified works they will either ignore it or do a regularisation, the only time this Part P aspect is thrown in the mix ref a court case is if the works causes/is likely to cause danger. The original intent behind Part P by Parliament seems to have been lost long ago. Unfortunately we all live in the real world not an ideal world

Add a note to the EICR "The Installation is utilised b skilled person, with electrical knowledge and shows sufficient competence that they are likely to attempt remedial work themselves, the products of which would be outside of the scope of this EICR. Should the customer look to do remedial work themselves, We strongly advise that they notify building control (in line with Building Regulations)."

Add a note to the EICR "The Installation is utilised b skilled person, with electrical knowledge and shows sufficient competence that they are likely to attempt remedial work themselves, the products of which would be outside of the scope of this EICR. Should the customer look to do remedial work themselves, We strongly advise that they notify building control (in line with Building Regulations)."
I like this concept. And I think I would put it in observations, but it would not affect the outcome of the report And would not be an official coding, but it would be a good ar*e covering exercise.

I’m always putting extra observations on EICRs with no code.

I strongly advise not to do that, you are adding a complication that is not needed and could be seen as interfering with the regulated route, especially mentioning the customer carrying out their own remedial's heaven forbid.
How so? The customer has given the inspector reason to believe they might try and rectify any highlighted issue and then bring in A N Other spark to 'test' the clients own handiworks. The spark may get wise and cover thier arse but by being explicit about what may happen, it covers you should it happen.

"Your honour we strongly advised the client that even with their self-procliamed expertise, that they would need to notify building control, or get in a spark that can (owing to Thier CPS membership). The fact he has done just this and blindsided Sparky B into giving (what the client believes is) certification for the complete install, including the clients undisclosed meddling is of no fault to the inspector or the subsequent inspector, due to the explicit advise to get in a proper perd."

How would that get picked apart exactly?

Lister1987 Imagine standing in the witness box or Dock and fully explaining why you put that on the documentation without hearsay or slandering anyone, or more importantly dropping yourself in the deep deep mire.

It may even be that the skilled electricians have a building notice in , or the BC have accepted their qualifications of a multiple empire of properties they may have..
It may even be that he is registered and minds his own business.

Lister1987 Imagine standing in the witness box or Dock and fully explaining why you put that on the documentation without hearsay or slandering anyone, or more importantly dropping yourself in the deep deep mire.
I had reason to believe that the customer may attempt to rectify any faults identified themselves, owing to their conversations with me about the industry, the job and how they used to be on the tools. I wanted to ensure that the extent of any certification I was doing was clear and made specific mention of the clients technical background, with a view that the customer may look to remedy issues himself and should any of those remedies involved those outlined in Part P of the Building Regulations 2010, that my recommendation was to notify LABC or use a contractor registered with a CPS.

Indemnity insurance is for this exact sort of thing no? To indemnify you for your technical knowledge, reasoning and application against those that just want to sue you as they disagree?

I had reason to believe that the customer may attempt to rectify any faults identified themselves, owing to their conversations with me about the industry, the job and how they used to be on the tools. I wanted to ensure that the extent of any certification I was doing was clear and made specific mention of the clients technical background, with a view that the customer may look to remedy issues himself and should any of those remedies involved those outlined in Part P of the Building Regulations 2010, that my recommendation was to notify LABC or use a contractor registered with a CPS.

Indemnity insurance is for this exact sort of thing no? To indemnify you for your technical knowledge, reasoning and application against those that just want to sue you as they disagree?
You wouldn't be certifying anything by carrying out an EICR, it's a report. What someone else might do afterwards, and your perception of their competence, etc isn't part of it.

with a view that the customer may look to remedy issues himself and should any of those remedies involved those outlined in Part P of the Building Regulations 2010, that my recommendation was to notify LABC or use a contractor registered with a CPS.
Supposition therefore inadmissible.

As opposed to a discharging of duty of care by informing them of the mean to comply with building regs?
You're inventing problems for yourself. An EICR is a safety report comparing an installation to current BS7671. Building regs and notification are irrelevant to the report. Everything the owner needs to know is in the guidance for recipients, appended to the report

The original intent behind Part P by Parliament seems to have been lost long ago.
It has never really been possible to produce any tangible statistics on whether Part P achieved it's original aims as the 17th edition and the RCD requirements it brought in make it difficult assess with any accuracy how much safer Part P has made installations when RCD's are required now on most circuits

About the only benefit it may of had is that more work now gets properly certified

Reply to Landlord EICR's in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net