Discuss Less sensitive smoke alarms in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks for all the replies. I should have asked exactly when she took them down, but as I said, I was there looking at another job at the time and didn't have very long.
I think I will quote her for fitting 2 new Aico Ei166RC and give her some advice on keeping them clean.
Moses, relocation not really possible as the ceilings are really small and I think the original sparky got them pretty spot-on. Thanks for the input tho :)

Even if you fit new optical alarms right near a bathroom, if there's loads of steam then they'' still probably go off.

Every manufacturer advises of siting anywhere near a bathroom.

Extension just done, one Aico fitted. Now Building Control say they want 2 more in the house, can you fit wireless ones. Told him 'Yes, but she'll have to turn her radio on for them to operate'. For about 10 seconds he actually looked worried.lol.

Extension just done, one Aico fitted. Now Building Control say they want 2 more in the house, can you fit wireless ones. Told him 'Yes, but she'll have to turn her radio on for them to operate'. For about 10 seconds he actually looked worried.lol.

3 alarms just because of an extension? Thought you only needed that with new-builds.

If the extension is substantial and of course depending on the type, i have been required to install smoke alarms to all floors.

I use the Aico, and if you can get a feed to it, you can use the radio bases for linking duties.

They also do a remote wireless switch that can be used in many configurations.

3 alarms just because of an extension? Thought you only needed that with new-builds.

Disabled grant job for local authority. He wants one in the new extension and two in the house, one at the foot of the stairs and one on the landing, all interlinked.

Thanks for all the replies. I should have asked exactly when she took them down, but as I said, I was there looking at another job at the time and didn't have very long.
I think I will quote her for fitting 2 new Aico Ei166RC and give her some advice on keeping them clean.
Moses, relocation not really possible as the ceilings are really small and I think the original sparky got them pretty spot-on. Thanks for the input tho :)

If you have the interlink wired then EI146 Optical smoke alarms might be cheaper than EI166RC.

You might want to suggest CO and heat alarms (for any gas boiler and kitchen) as well.
I nearly suggested something else to the awkward sod.
Not a bad idea though, top. Trouble is the budgets. They allow for as little as possible at the design stage and expect the tradesmen to bend over backwards. It's about priorities, so safety should be at the top of the list. The all singing, all dancing bog costs more to buy than my full job. (it's bloody good though, not that I've tried it).

If the extension is substantial and of course depending on the type, i have been required to install smoke alarms to all floors.

I use the Aico, and if you can get a feed to it, you can use the radio bases for linking duties.

They also do a remote wireless switch that can be used in many configurations.

Yeah, cheers Jason. It's only bedroom, utility and walk in shower. Got a mains supply to the one in the extension so just need a radio base to link with the other two. Doubt I'll get an extra for it though.

If you have the interlink wired then EI146 Optical smoke alarms might be cheaper than EI166RC.

Thanks for the suggestion. They are a little cheaper, but use alkaline batteries. I think that if I am going to put my name to this, I will quote for the units with a 10 year battery life :)

I think alot will depend on the existing house layout and differences from council to council as they work from a list of advise and regulations and I'm sure we have all had cases where they hear something that sounds good and tell you they want it as if it was regulation.
Round my way if an extension that includes a bedroom is off a lounge or kitchen meaning the fire exit route from the bedroom passes through these rooms the need for additional smokes is required to cover both sides of the route so have become the norm for me.
I guess this is due to the information they work from advises kitchens and lounges being the two most likely souces of fire, well it was when they let me see their notes he quoted from.

Reply to Less sensitive smoke alarms in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net