Discuss lighting circuit identifying earth on old wires in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nick.appleby

Hi all.

Am trying to replace switches and wall leights and ceiling lights i have identified live and neutral (black and red)but what appears to be the earth is a grey colour also its not wired to the earth terminal but to one of the Com connectors. Does this mean that there is no earth wiring or has it been wired wrong, could really do with a quick response please help

Thanks

Nick

It's not a 3 core cable is it.Brown,black and grey:confused:Are they singles or T & E

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all.

Am trying to replace switches and wall leights and ceiling lights i have identified live and neutral (black and red)but what appears to be the earth is a grey colour also its not wired to the earth terminal but to one of the Com connectors. Does this mean that there is no earth wiring or has it been wired wrong, could really do with a quick response please help

Thanks

Nick

Nick

Please be aware of what your doing, if unsure leave it for now, await replys or provide further info
Better safe then sorry.

Ash

Im sure i have seen the black in T&E turn greyish near the terminal, which looked like signs of overheating.

It most certainly sounds like no cpc on the lighting circuit.

However, in olden days, they used to twist the cpc's together and stuff them up in the ceiling behind the wooden pendant mount.

Last edited by a moderator:
if there is no cpc can i still replace light fitting etc, there are platic patress boxes to all sockets and switches i have bought metal switches, also the light pendant is metal ??? thanks everyone

Reply to lighting circuit identifying earth on old wires in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net