Discuss Line to Earth fault 70 volts?!? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

iamgary25

Just tested a lighting circuit to find that the voltage between Line and Neutral was 240V and Line to Earth was around 70 volts? What could this be? a short between Line and Earth? Also the circuit is on a 6A 30mA RCBO but doesn't trip, the test button works though...

thanks

Line to Earth was around 70 volts? What could this be? a short between Line and Earth

Does not compute... you can't have a voltage across a short!

Test kit out ,if you have 70 volts between line and earth your earth is possibly open circuit , and if all was ok and you had a line to earth fault i would expect a Bang !!! so you need to carry out an r1r2 test ,ir test etc

Just tested a lighting circuit to find that the voltage between Line and Neutral was 240V and Line to Earth was around 70 volts? What could this be? a short between Line and Earth?
A problem possibly but 70V is hardly indicative of a short circuit.
Maybe the neutral not connected to earth so the system is floating?
Have you checked that?

Reply to Line to Earth fault 70 volts?!? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi folks I've just identified as cause of lighting circuit tripping in consumer unit a low volts ceiling light with laride transformer taking in...
Replies
Views
Recently I have installed Type 2 Surge Protective Device SPD 20 to 40kA, Type1+2, Phase + Neutral + Earth (2 Pole 275 Volt AC) (Uc-275VAC...
Replies
Views
Old two core cable in a lighting circuit with no cpc at any point All points had metal fixtures and fittings class1 At two points the live loop...
Replies
Views
Extremely low voltage on 120v line Hi, I’m not an electrician but my home has 20 amp breaker that has only one outdoor outlet on it with a GFCI...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi there, I’m a new member to the forum and felt like I could do with some additional insight into a fault I came across on a call-out at the...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back