Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Long cable to electric car - amps and gauge advice in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Wickcar

Wickcar EF Member

Hello all. Advice appreciated on running a 22m to 25m single gang extension cable from a domestic socket indoors, to an outdoor electric vehicle's own official 5m charging cable (which ends in a three pin plug). Nothing noteworthy about the wiring in the house whilst the charging circuit interrupting device on the car's charging cable states 10amps and its plug is fused for 13amps. Is a 3 core 2.5mm 15amp fused extension cable overkill and would 1.5mm 13amp suffice?

2. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

The only thing I would say is beware of foxes chewing your cables.

Not the ideal solution and note importantly what earthing requirements do the charger state they need?

3. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

No not really. There are certain regulations governing car charging stations, running an extension lead isn't one of them, get a spaky in to install it properly.

4. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Hi Wickar and Welcome to the Forum !
    The 3 pin plugs with a fuse are designed to fit 1.5mm2 cable max, as it has enough current carrying capacity for the 13A fuse. As Pete has advised, using one to charge your car overnight is not a good idea.

5. Wickcar

Wickcar EF Member

On the foxes front, good call. Would 20mm flexible steel conduit be ok as a fox cable protector in terms of overheating?

Regarding earthing this is the only thing from the instructions, quoted directly: "Connect only to properly grounding type socket"

Regarding regulations, to the best of my knowledge there are none to do with charging a car from a domestic plug. But I could always have missed something.

Regarding a sparky, had a qualified one on site yesterday. His only real objection was that my plan A (above) would do him out of a job installing an outdoor socket. Fair enough, but it's a rented house and I'm not allowed to alter it...

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

There's a surprise, where did he stable his horse?

7. Devonchris

Devonchris Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    O
    Out of curiosity, where is the car parked while charging, on a drive, in the street?

• Like Like x 2
  8. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Next to the Horse

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Wickcar

Wickcar EF Member

On a drive opposite the house. The cable has to cross a very quiet private road to reach it (2-3 cars might drive along it at night when it would be charging)

10. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Sorry to rain on your electric dreams, but no extension cable can withstand traffic. No wiggle room on that one I'm afraid.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Get yer wallet out mate and spend some of yer hard earned and do it proper like.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Devonchris

Business Name:
    O
    So the 13a socket at the end of your extension will be out in the road somewhere. Free leccy for anyone who wants it.

I don't know about the regs but the whole thing sounds dodgy to me. Think of the potential danger to anyone playing with it, or when it's raining.

Did you not consider how you were going to charge it when you bought it?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Ok...So a rented property and crossing a track ... Your first call is to the landlord Of the house and then to the owner of the track .... A wayleave springs too mind

Good luck with that

• Like Like x 1
  14. Devonchris

Business Name:
    O
    I think this is a taste of things to come. Extension leads running all over the streets like knitting.

Probably be a requirement for street run extensions to be swa in the 19th edition. MK will have produced a pin protected 13a socket and Fluke will have a special tester available costing megger bucks.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Wickcar

Wickcar EF Member

I know you are right in safety theory but in practice 5 of my neighbours run their mower extension cables across the road regularly in the day with 5-6 cars per hour running over them. No deaths or knackered cables yet although yes, it could be the UK's least safe street. I in contrast have been looking at a low rubber ramp that the cable sits in that the makers allege is for that purpose

16. Wickcar

Wickcar EF Member

I would if it was my house. Got no objection to paying for a professional and a safer solution. It's just that the one I invited in didn't have any safety objections to the extension idea. Maybe he should have

17. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Maga Bucks

18. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Mega Bucks, or are you being sarcastic?

19. Wickcar

Wickcar EF Member

The 13A socket and cable plug would be connected in a waterproof designed for purpose lockable box next to the car on the drive so no-one will have access. At this end there would be about as much danger as one of those public or even domestic charging stations that get rained on all the time. The pro electrician was even recommending one of those splash proof sockets on the one gang. I believe the box would be safer.

20. Devonchris

Business Name:
    O
    Megger haven't got one yet. Poor product development. So ergo it's costing them.

Not really it was my mistake.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Wickcar

Wickcar EF Member

One and the same and have written approval from the agent. Yes, could be more watertight

22. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

What IP rating would that be ?

23. Wickcar

Wickcar EF Member

IP54 - weatherproof. I'm looking for better

24. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    If you'd like to read up on vehicle charging it's in BS7671, section 722 and then the IET Code of Practice for Electric Vehicle Charging Equipment Installation. And for temporary outdoor power it's BS7909.

Can I ask what make of electric vehicle you've got?

25. Wickcar

Wickcar EF Member

Thanks, will do. It's a prius phev 2012 version

26. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    you could always convert it to run on hydrogen cells. by the time you've don the work, dyson will be selling them.:D

• Like Like x 1
  27. PEG

PEG Trusted Advisor

I would check up on your/landlords insurance,as if public have access (if postman has-it is a yes) then you may be better purchasing one of my mobile fox-powered-wheel generators :)

28. ruston

ruston Trusted Advisor

YET.
    There are limits to the code of practice regarding extensions.
    Your proposed method is irresponsible and dangerous , just say your cable was to snag on a car and bare the cable and not blow the CPD , where would that leave the occupants that try to remove it , or anyone picking up the bare ends.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  29. dmxtothemax

dmxtothemax Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    David Haddock Electronic Repairs
    Whilst charging an electric vehicle off a 25m extension cable may work ?
    BUT -
    Running extention cables across a driveway or road way is just plain STUPID !
    no electrician would ever approve such a method !
    You need to find a better method ?
    :eek:

• Like Like x 1