Discuss Main Earthing On DB Help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

Was visiting a friends house yesterday who is having some renovation work done and I was just being nosy but came across his DB (that is due to be changed) with what looked like no main earth. There is an earth connected in the DB but it’s just cut off below the main income ( see pic)

What would people do in this case? Do the suppliers have to provide an earth or is it something an electrician would sort?

C60DCE62-C3AB-4100-8FA0-912C67605E76.jpeg

Just going on the picture, it looks like there is no earth connection. If so, this is a safety issue and needs an immediate fix. Agree with @wirepuller that it might be have been a TT but why oh why did they cut the green wire? (isn't it the blue wire thats supposed to be cut? (joke))

I’ve come across a few lately that have no Earthing conductor connection - both needed to be simply connected to TNS and I’ve no idea why they weren’t - both were picked up by trades fitting stuff 1st was a shower fitted and would commission as no earth showing - I got 0.13 once connected
2nd was the gas man not picking up on his socket tested - I let the customer see Zs at socket (though bonding) of 298 ohms and when earth terminated same Zs 0.68
Both like that for 15 to 20years - they will not be the only ones in the country either!
Not sure whether to blame other trades or the last spark in the premises!
Both customers happy at the ease of the fix and not given too much of a doom and gloom scenario until after I finished the tea and biscuits!

As above, isolate it and get DNO to come in. That would be the first steps in finding out.

Is this in a built up area? How old are the houses? Could be worth checking local houses to see what earthing arrangements are being used locally. If close property's are on TNC or TNCS I doubt very much this property would be TT. DNO would confirm

I wouldn't isolate it at all, I would bang a rod in and connect to that then ask the DNO to provide an earth, switching someones leccy off and walking away is very nice of you isn't it?

Ok so what if you don't have a rod to hand and you cant get one till say, Monday?

I wouldn't walk away with it energised like that.

So you would walk into someones house and turn off the electric till monday when you can get a rod? i know i wouldn't, just tell them the problem try and get the dno out to fix it and dont do any work on it till its sorted. cant go around just turning the electric off to peoples houses for days and even if you did im sure they would turn it back on some how when you left.

I don't see what right or authority we have to leave a dwelling without power in these circumstances. We are not the electrical police, we have no right to turn off the power supply and lock it off until we return at a later date to sort it.

I don't see what right or authority we have to leave a dwelling without power in these circumstances. We are not the electrical police, we have no right to turn off the power supply and lock it off until we return at a later date to sort it.
You are correct. If it's bad bad bad (not had this yet) I would call DNO - I understand they have the authority to remove supply if they consider it dangerous (?).

Reply to Main Earthing On DB Help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net