Discuss Main RCD Tripping any ideas? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Nich

-
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas on this?

Last night I got in from work and my board had tripped.

Tried resetting main breaker (no good)
To cut a long story short I narrowed it down to the ring main (only one ring main for whole house), turned out I had a broken live which touched the Earth on one of the sockets and it went bang.

Anyway today rewired that socket, thinking that would be it, I turned all on and yay working, so I thought?
Fridge now not working, plug in main RCD tripped.
Plugged Kettle in, same thing.
Plugged in microwave same thing.
Immersion heater does same thing as well.
However last night it was all working and was all day until I did repair on damaged socket.
The reason I know this is because I have a circuit on spurs (old storage heaters were in house) so used this last night and today for fridge etc to work.
I can have ring main on but can't plug any of the above in or put immersion heater or cooker on without main RCD tripping on board.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Main RCD 63A

Thanks

I would expect that in your repairs a parallel path has been created that bypasses the RCD and the flow of current through this bypass causes an imbalance in current causing the RCD trip.
Have you wired the socket with neutral and earth reversed?

N to E fault somewhere (not necessarily the socket ring final circuit) or swapped N & E. With the right test equipment, it should be easily found, if you don't have that then please call someone who does.

Fault found new cable was damaged.
It was late last night so thought I would come on here to ask for a little help and advice as mind was going round in circles wondering what it was and wanted to get freezer back on.
Part C electrician by the way for all those who are quick to just say quick comments like get an electrician.
Reason I dislike forums is because people judge people just for asking questions and assume too many things, some super sparks on here hope they never get any problems but then they obviously won't cus they are so good.

It was late last night so thought I would come on here to ask for a little help and advice as mind was going round in circles wondering what it was and wanted to get freezer back on.
Part C electrician by the way for all those who are quick to just say quick comments like get an electrician.
Reason I dislike forums is because people judge people just for asking questions and assume too many things, some super sparks on here hope they never get any problems but then they obviously won't cus they are so good.

If you don't want people to recommend getting an electrician in then it would be a good idea to tell them that you are an electrician. This thread has been your only activity on this forum.
I guess people replying to this thread assumed you were not an electrician from this lack of information and that your fault finding procedure made no mention of using test equipment or standard fault finding methods.
A quick introduction may have stopped these assumptions. You get out what you put in.

Part C Electrician, what's one of them then, Nich?

I am sorry, that's a load of rollocks. An "electrician" worth his salt, would not come on here asking such desperate questions. How do you go on if you face such problems at a customers premises or work situation? Anyway whats this part "C"? it even says C&G 1,2 &C in your profile? How come you didn't find the "damaged" cable during your fault finding, before bang testing it? What was wrong with it anyway?

What utter BS.

Post #2 by me was all you had to respond to and say that you are a spark ....... But for now the jury is out

Reason I dislike forums is because people judge people just for asking questions and assume too many things....
apologies ... mising info ... and a vagueness -rang alarm bells ...
(We like chancers/punters to stay safe)
(Need good test gear to prove a healthy cpc -for your/others safety)

Last edited:

Reply to Main RCD Tripping any ideas? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net