• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Mains box to Consumer unit SWA or tails? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
HI all,

usually take tails form a MEB box to consumer unit no matter what the length as long as i can get the 50mm depth, builder has told me he wants it in SWA, ive told him its pretty much impossible to terminate it right if i use SWA also i run up the cavity with the tails and there is no way i can get SWA up there so will have to run inside up the wall which i hate doing, what do you guys do if using SWA??

Cheers
Grand

mmmm thats interesting, so surly tails isn't suitable then as the earth is totally separate?, SWA it is then

its a domestic house btw

how do you terminate the armored in the mains cupboard, and ---- me it will look ugly terminating it into the board.

Could you terminate the swa into a metal box directly under where the consumer unit is mounted and connect direct ? If not can you use a adaptable box butted up to the consumer unit, gland into that with the cores straight through

It is the case because it doesn't have an earthed armouring. The earth strands only surround a third of the core, the other two thirds is the neutral.
Are you talking concentric or split concentric because I have often wondered as originally it was deemed acceptable.

Advise the builder that if he wishes to do the electrical installation design then he will have to sign the EIC for design and accept the liability.

One method of terminating SWA in a meter box is to fit the gland to a short piece of brass angle, then heatshrink the cores with adhesive lined heatshrink to give protection and again heatshrink over the breakout.
This should give you an idea of what I mean, though in this case the bedding is stripped within the gland and the gland filled with epoxy to seal it.

Mains box to Consumer unit SWA or tails? IMG_2930.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Could you terminate the swa into a metal box directly under where the consumer unit is mounted and connect direct ? If not can you use a adaptable box butted up to the consumer unit, gland into that with the cores straight through

Terminate the SWA into a metal flush box behind the CU

mmmm thats interesting, so surly tails isn't suitable then as the earth is totally separate?, SWA it is then

its a domestic house btw

how do you terminate the armored in the mains cupboard, and ---- me it will look ugly terminating it into the board.

It will only look ugly if you make it ugly.

Terminate the SWA into the flush box you fit behind the CU the same as the outgoing circuits.

Terminate it into a metal switch fuse isolator as you would use if the cu was >3M away.. you could float it into the back of the board without a gland if the swa was soundly cleated to provide protection of cable being dragged back & that the swa was bangod correctly supply end and a 3rd inner core was used inside the swa, it may be frowned upon & i would only do this as a last resort.

Advise the builder that if he wishes to do the electrical installation design then he will have to sign the EIC for design and accept the liability.

One method of terminating SWA in a meter box is to fit the gland to a short piece of brass angle, then heatshrink the cores with adhesive lined heatshrink to give protection and again heatshrink over the breakout.
This should give you an idea of what I mean, though in this case the bedding is stripped within the gland and the gland filled with epoxy to seal it.

View attachment 37373

Ah the upside down Switchfuse is back. :D

Are you talking concentric or split concentric because I have often wondered as originally it was deemed acceptable.

I mean split concentric, the requirement for buried cables is that they have earthed armour or sheath etc. Split concentric doesn't satisfy this.

I don't know if it was ever deemed compliant for burial in a wall without RCD since that rule came in.

Reply to Mains box to Consumer unit SWA or tails? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back