Discuss Marine Engineer coming ashore in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tankerman

Hi all,

Brilliant site, thanks to all who support it.

I'm leaving the merchant navy after 15 years. Worked as Second Engineer until recently. Being married means I'd rather make it home for the evenings than the usual 4 months away at a time.

I've started an OLCI Domestic Electrical Installers Course that has the following;
EAL level 2 Domestic Installers Cert,
17th Edition (2382 level 3)
2377 PAT testing cert.

I'm wondering if there are any other ex seafarers out there? The problem with my job is the guys who leave to go ashore disappear into the matrix and are never heard of again. Thats the ones who don't come back with their tails between their legs!

I wish I'd found this site earlier, I've already shelled out my 2 and 1/2 g's, I just hope it'll give me something I can use.
I know it won't give me anywhere near electricians quals, but I want to be able to supplement my engineering with a qualification/skills to do slightly more than handyman work.

I have electrics as a background from the marine engineering, so I'm not coming at the course totally from fresh.

Does this course hold any meaning to the professional world?

Here's hoping. Thanks again for running a great site.

Hi tankerman
I’m the same only electrical maritime engineer from other country. I still go ships..but onshore also I like to keep my mind and hands occupied.
Welcome, this is the best forum you can find…and you‘ll get a lot of information’s here

Hi Sorin,thanks for your post. What company do you sail with? I was with TK shipping for 12 years and then finished recently with BP shipping.

I don't want to make this thread about shipping, but to replay, my last company is DSD shipping (norway) allready 3 years and before most as freelancer changing company a lot. Also only in tankers...

Reply to Marine Engineer coming ashore in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net