Discuss Mig welding and cable run. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If you are using a welder with 13A plug then a 13A extension lead is practical. You could make one with 2.5mm which is about as much that will squees in to decent 13A plugs & in-line sockets and a quick check says it is OK for VD at 40m length.

Or maybe better, put in a couple of fixed weatherproof sockets around the area so you are never more than 15m from one when you need it! That way 6mm cable could be used, but it has to be UV proof so not T&E !!! (Unless in conduit/trunking)
In almost all other circumstances that would be a way forward but not in this instance, for me anyway.

I sought further advice from others and there seems to be a consensus.

As the Mig will have very little use and that use spread over a couple of months while learning how to weld before getting on in earnest and repairing and as the Mig will be used at the furthest end of the garden, (50m) for a short time only my intention is to do below.

Remove the 13a plug top supplied with the Mig and replace with a 16a plug.

Make up 50m of 3 Core HO7RNF 2.5mm² as an extension cable with 16a socket and plug at either end.

Replace the existing mounted 16a external socket with one that has RCD protection.

Incidentally both people I spoke to independently were appalled the original installer of the 16a socket relied solely on a 32a MCB for any kind of personal protection and why they didn't fit a RCBO, I'm grateful you mentioned the RCD.

They did say just for now stick to the 32a mcb but when done with all welding to swap it for a 16a mcb.

The 6mm cable that supplies the 16a socket from the CU would have been better run in 10mm but for my temporary welding needs "should" be ok.

Fortunately most of the welding repairs and metal fence add ons will be within a 25m radius of the 16a socket, still a long extension cable but better by half.

2.5 is beyond the specification for a 13A plug.
It is, I have in the past been guilty of squeezing 2.5 cable in to a plug top but not clever.

Repeating what I have been told and how I understood, manufactures of most electrical items they sell in the UK must fit a plug.

Clearly with items such as Mig welders they wish they hadn't to but UK law obliges them.

Incidentally both people I spoke to independently were appalled the original installer of the 16a socket relied solely on a 32a MCB for any kind of personal protection and why they didn't fit a RCBO, I'm grateful you mentioned the RCD.

They did say just for now stick to the 32a mcb but when done with all welding to swap it for a 16a mcb.

Were either of the people you sought alternative views from an electrician?

The reason I ask is it seems highly unlikely they'd be appalled by the original installation's lack of RCD protection, then advise that you go ahead and use the socket with overcurrent protection at twice its rating.

I don't mean to cause offence but, given that you're now pretty much at the plan originally posted, it seems as though you've more interest in seeking affirmation of your own ideas than sound advice.

Were either of the people you sought alternative views from an electrician?

The reason I ask is it seems highly unlikely they'd be appalled by the original installation's lack of RCD protection, then advise that you go ahead and use the socket with overcurrent protection at twice its rating.

I don't mean to cause offence but, given that you're now pretty much at the plan originally posted, it seems as though you've more interest in seeking affirmation of your own ideas than sound advice.
Yes both of them.

The advice, opinion for RCD protection for the 16A socket came from this thread and I mentioned it to both electricians, they didn't say not to, both agreed it a must.

Not seems, I am still seeking sound advise, opinions, further affirmation, are you saying I was told wrong and why?

Last edited:
It is not permitted to have unshuttered socket outlets in a dwelling both 16 and 32A fall into this category.
Does the welder come with a fitted 13A plug?

I thought the regulation said they must not be used for household purposes, not that they cannot be installed in a dwelling or domestic installation?

I thought the regulation said they must not be used for household purposes, not that they cannot be installed in a dwelling or domestic installation?
20240416_120218.jpg

Exactly, household and similar use.

A welder requiring a 32A supply isn't household use regardless of whether it's a domestic installation.
This is an interesting issue. I agree with you however I took this to task with a scam inspector some years ago and we agreed to disagree that the definition of ‘dwelling’ was the area served by the designated earthing system. On that basis my house has 16, 32 and (1ph > 3) 63/3 outlets for everyday household use - so I call BS on the whole thing!

Reply to Mig welding and cable run. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net