Discuss Mounting a flood light on a tree!? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Roughly 15 years ago my mother in law had a builder fit some 100w lamps to illuminate a couple of trees in her garden, he screwed them directly to the trunk which I suggested at the time was wrong.

Five years ago she decided she wanted them swapped for LED so I bought some, made some 6" posts to mount them on, got the postcrete etc and dropped it all off at hers.

Mr builder called by on some other related job and she asked him to swap the lamps out as I wouldn't be able to do it for a couple of weeks.

Yes you guessed it, he screwed them to the tree again but when removing the old ones he damaged a lot of the bark where it had grown round the brackets.

Two months ago a tree surgeon recommended they be chopped down as they're dying and are right next to a main road.
Did this Tree Surgeon carry out a Biopsy on the tree to ascertain what, if anything was killing the tree, or was he touting for work, as some people when blindly recommending a CU change, for no better reason than it will make them money?

Did this Tree Surgeon carry out a Biopsy on the tree to ascertain what, if anything was killing the tree, or was he touting for work, as some people when blindly recommending a CU change, for no better reason than it will make them money?
I'll ask my mother in law when she comes round later. strange though as the other five birches they have are all doing very well, only the two with spots fitted are dying.

In recent times we have had a number of diseases affecting native species (horse chestnut for example is under threat, as is the ash). As far as I know the majority of these diseases are fungal.

In securing the light/cable if you break the bark of a tree you run the risk of allowing disease to enter the tree. Depending on the species of tree and what gets in, it could be the end of it.
I think you should change your profile name to HappyHippySparkyChicky! :)

The closest I came to a solution I would be happy with was to mount the light on a board with a couple of strips of timber at the top and bottom with a kind of crescent cut out so it could sit flat against the trunk. To secure it the solution I felt was best was to put a chain in hose pipe at the top and bottom and to then secure it with springs to allow for growth, leaving some excess on the chains for adjustment over time.

I must admit, I'd've just screwed it straight onto the tree with copper fixings (joke!), without a seconds thought.

Instead of a chain, how about a ratchet strap, bomber fixing and you could adjust it as the girth increases?

I must admit, I'd've just screwed it straight onto the tree with copper fixings (joke!), without a seconds thought.

Instead of a chain, how about a ratchet strap, bomber fixing and you could adjust it as the girth increases?

That could work, but is likely to require more frequent adjustment. Something with some give in it like a spring or bungee cord is ideal because you don't need to tend to it every year.

Is your Mum in Law the arborist?
Nope. He is actually one of the tradesmen she uses that doesn't try to screw people over.

The original fixing screws corroded and sheared off when the first one's were taken off. These have caused part of the trunk to die not helped by the damage to the bark when the brackets were took off.

This damage is roughly 12 inches from ground level and the trees need to come down before they fall down.

Bungee cord would perish after a few years outside, it's not the most stable of materials when exposed to UV light and weather.

drill some 20mm holes in the trunk, fill with weedkiller, then insert rawlbolts secured with Gorilla glue. ( this post directed @Pete999 to get rid of his pesky trees overgrown weeds)

we suffer from trees in a neighbour's back garden. 60 ft. high. 3 conifers, 2 holly, and 1 dunno what. the crap they drop is horrendous, our shed rotting from it . only + side is it's a home for wood pigeons, so the .22 gets some excercise.

Jack handy quote, "if trees could scream would we be so cavalier in cutting them down - well we might if they screamed all the time!"

Great suggestions from experienced members on here. This will be a searched thread for all future enquiries. Good that so many have correct information from experts.

Reply to Mounting a flood light on a tree!? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net