Discuss Moving Forward in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

critch

Hi Guys,

Im after some advice and help with regards my current qualifications and how to move forward.

Story so far

I left school and started working as an apprentice electrician working towards a NVQ Level 3 but unfortunately i was laid off and thus could not continue on the course without being employed in the industry. A few years went by struggling to get permament work in the industry and with no luck with someone taking me on as an apprentice i put myself through college of an evening to obtain Level 2 Certificate in Electrotechnical Installations (2330). Since finishing this i have again tried to find work to allow me to move onto the NVQ Level 3 and become a time served electrician but as of yet nothing has come
up.

Career Plan
My career plans at the moment rely on me being able to obtain further educations in two directions. I wish to either complete my NVQ Level 3 to become a time served qualified electrician or begin looking at taking a BTEC Level 3 or HNC in Electrical Engineering as these qualifications currently dont require employment to undertaken.

Current Qualifications
Level 2 Certificate In Electrotechnical Installations (2330)
Level 3 Diploma in IT Uses

Questions
  • What is required to turn my Level 2 (2330) Into a NVQ Level 3! Is this one further year in college on the NVQ course?
  • Is there an alternative route i can take to obtain the NVQ Level 3 other than finding employment as an apprentice?
  • Would going down the electrical engineering route be more viable than spending further time trying to achieve the NVQ 3?
  • Is there any ways around being an apprentice to get onto the NVQ courses such as becoming self employed or volunteering to work for free for the duration of the course?
  • Is it worth me taking my 17th Edition with the hope of it helping me to obtain work to finish the Level 3?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and i appreciate any help that you can give. At 24 years old not alot has gone my way and im pretty much willing to do anything to carve a career for myself. If that means one or two years working for free to finish the course im more than willing to do this and look to the bigger picture once i have that all important qualification.

Last edited by a moderator:
Critch your attitude will get you a long way in life , just stay focused on your goal, knock on as many doors as you can, send your cv to everyone in your area. What aspect of electrics are you interested in i.e. domestic, industrial and also where are you based .

Just seen your age, 24 I think that is when it changes for an apprentice as in getting funding etc so it could be hard to get an employer to take you on for the level 3, but like anything in life there is always a way.

Last edited:
Hi GMES,

Thanks for your kind comments. It does feel like the world is against me at the moment but no one ever said life was easy. Hopefully there is a bit of luck around the corner for me.

As for my interests in Electrics i dont really have a set preference my aim from school was always to become a qualified electrician but i also have a strong interest in electrical and electronic engineering hence looking at the BTEC and HNC route as the NVQ 3 as an electrician is seeming more and more like a dead end as time moves on. Although i am now 24 id be more than willing to pay the course fees for the apprentice ship but this is hard to get across in a covering letter as i dont currently have anyone working in the industry that could give the golden whisper.

Im based in the wirral/merseyside area but have not been limiting my searches. I would be more than willing to move around the country or even abroad for something that could open career opportunity doors for me.

Hi GMES,

Thanks for your kind comments. It does feel like the world is against me at the moment but no one ever said life was easy. Hopefully there is a bit of luck around the corner for me.

As for my interests in Electrics i dont really have a set preference my aim from school was always to become a qualified electrician but i also have a strong interest in electrical and electronic engineering hence looking at the BTEC and HNC route as the NVQ 3 as an electrician is seeming more and more like a dead end as time moves on. Although i am now 24 id be more than willing to pay the course fees for the apprentice ship but this is hard to get across in a covering letter as i dont currently have anyone working in the industry that could give the golden whisper.

Im based in the wirral/merseyside area but have not been limiting my searches. I would be more than willing to move around the country or even abroad for something that could open career opportunity doors for me.

I am sure with an attitude like that something will come along for you, I am based in Rotherham south Yorkshire which is a bit far from you and if you were closer I would probably have been willing to give you a couple of days a week experience. maybe a few more members on here will pick up on the post and offer some advice. all the best for the future mate.

Reply to Moving Forward in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net