Discuss Naused it right up in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

ga8ry

Was putting a new concrete driveway in. And decided lights would be a good idea. So four driveway lights connected up. Quick continuity test and concrete poured. Connected up back in the house and it keeps throwing the trip. Another continuity test everything ok. Did an ir test 500v and got 0.01 across all 3 cables. Any ideas on how I went wrong and more importantly how to fix it lol

Agree with Murdoch ,an IR test is essential before powering up regardless of of it going in concrete or not.

.......... more importantly how to fix it lol

bosch_brute_working.jpg

:)

thougfht of the hamlet ad. but then thought this might be more appropriate:

VdPcK8b.jpg

Monitor the IR values over the next few days and see if there's a trend of it getting better. If you believe in a higher being now would be the time to be on your knees ;)

I'm all out of magical cures but if the IR doesn't improve to around 1 Meg @ 250 volts then the only way I could suggest you might pull this out of the toilet is you may be able to convert the entire system to 12 volts depending on the fittings.

There just gu10 lamp holders with crimped joints inside the and I would have room for a transformer inside. I'll get the knee pads on and start praying

I wasn't thinking about transformers in the light fittings, more like one single transformer somewhere near the point of supply before your dodgy cabling disappears into the concrete and maybe 12v LED lamps (or bulbs as they're known in the UK).

I wasn't thinking about transformers in the light fittings, more like one single transformer somewhere near the point of supply before your dodgy cabling disappears into the concrete and maybe 12v LED lamps (or bulbs as they're known in the UK).

That's it Marvo kick a man when he's down :tounge_smile:

It's ok Marvo and regarding the op, he is a pillock for not doing his IR testing and i think he would agree with that.
But I do feel for the op he seems like a DOWN TO EARTH GUY :smilielol5::smilielol5:

Good to see Gazzer is taking all this in good humour; the Northern Irish, friendliest people in the UK I heard on the radio the other day.
OK, describe exactly what you've done, the actual bits of kit you used, etc. etc., might help to resolve the problem.

Agree with Archie. Also I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but if not, Split the circuit down and IR between everything it may not be as bad as it seems. You may not have to dig it all up,maybe a small section.

There is only 3 connections buried and I know where they are(almost) I'll give the 12v transformer ago with low voltage lamps. If not I'll get the pick out and channel the seven dwarfs lol

Gary just give it a couple of day's to see if the readings improve which as already been suggested. It may just yield a result for you!

Make sure you have checked inside the fittings to see they are not full of wet concrete!
Quick hairdryer in the fittings just in case (without melting the cables).
Getting low IR across all cores unfortunately does sound as if a connection has pulled out and been covered in concrete!

But concrete does get hot as it cures so it may dry it out, perhaps

Reply to Naused it right up in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net