Discuss Water kettle not working in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a weird issue with my electric water boiling kettle. Here are the facts:

-There is an on button that, when working normally, lights up and heats the water until it's around 100C at which time the button clicks off.
-Right now, the button doesn't latch when I push it down, nor does it light up, or heat the water even if I hold it down.
-There is power coming to the base, so the kettle is getting power
-The resistance across (through?) the heating element is about 24 ohms, exactly what it should be based on a P=IV calc.
-If it is getting power, and there is continuity (and the right amount at that) across the element, I don't see how it's even possible it doesn't heat up. So confusing.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Sean

Attachments

• kettlephoto.jpeg
    197 KB · Views: 20
Are you measuring continuity across the element terminals or across the circular connections in the base of the kettle?

There's a pin in the bottom of the kettle that detects it's positioned on the base and allows the illuminated button to latch and put power to the element

kettlephoto.jpeg

Thanks for the response. I measured across the element, shown in my photo.

I see the pin you're talking about; do you think that pin is messed up? You reckon that is my problem?

Attachments

• kettlephoto.jpeg
    283.8 KB · Views: 8
Do a resistance measurement across the plug with the kettle in place and the switch held down.
Have you investigated whether the base itself has a fault, or is not mating properly?

You can buy the Strix connector/cutout as a spare part If needed (I'm not saying this is the exact one for your kettle!)

and if you have the patience (Why I picked this one I really don't know 🤪)

Last edited:
...and! ...

Indeed I am now thinking there is a faulty connection between the kettle and the base, because:
-I am still seeing 24 ohms, when the switch is latched, across the kettle connectors that plug into the base, and
-I am getting proper voltage to the base itself.

So, am I right that the problem must be the connection? I'm just completely unsure as to why it's not making a connection anymore! Is it corrosion of some sort? :/

Where are you measuring the voltage when you say you are getting proper voltage at the base?

If you are measuring at the tabs underneath the connector, that is not proving that the hidden spring contacts in the base connector are actually making proper connection with the kettle contacts.

The obvious test would be to try it on another base - do you know anyone with a similar kettle!!

Otherwise if you could properly attach a wire to one end of the kettle element, put the kettle on its base and do your resistance measurements again (to the plug), you might work out which part of the connector is not making proper contact?

Reply to Water kettle not working in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net