• If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss Need an Electrician familiar with extractor fans in Hackney E9 in the Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This electrician job is going for grabs, please don't post contact details in this area of the forum. Use the forum messaging system instead.
Reaction score
Hi Guys, If you know the answer to my problem the job could be yours.
I have:
- 1 fan in a jacuzzi bath area that needs to become again an in-line fan operated by a Humidistat sensor and might need to be 12V.
The problem with this and the other fan is that they were surface extractor fans with transformers outside the bathroom and a main switch with 12V power that was getting to the fan but all fans i tried would not work. I have seen in a book in the past that it is a good idea to bring the amps down to 2/3 amps using a spur socket but any electrician i spoke to simply didn't know what i was talking about. I bought a 12V tester and checked that there was 12V power going to it (them) and there is . What else could be the problem? could it be the wrong type of 12V? Does cable size important and if so how big/small should they be?
- The Second fan is connected to a PIR sensor and same problem with it.
- Another PIR light needs to be installed in the bath tub area with a connection to the main switch outside.
- A Light on the top floor is flickering in the Bathroom and recessed light might need changing.
- All connection will need to be boxed in waterprook junction boxes as bathroom can get very steamy.
Can anyone think of a solution with the fans and available for a job that would take at least 1/2 day.

I have:
- 1 fan in a jacuzzi bath area that needs to become again an in-line fan operated by a Humidistat sensor and might need to be 12V.
The problem with this and the other fan is that they were surface extractor fans with transformers outside the bathroom and a main switch with 12V power that was getting to the fan but all fans i tried would not work. I have seen in a book in the past that it is a good idea to bring the amps down to 2/3 amps using a spur socket but any electrician i spoke to simply didn't know what i was talking about. I bought a 12V tester and checked that there was 12V power going to it (them) and there is . What else could be the problem? could it be the wrong type of 12V? Does cable size important and if so how big/small should they be?
- Another PIR light needs to be installed in the bath tub area with a connection to the main switch outside.
- A Light on the top floor is flickering in the Bathroom and recessed light might need changing.
- All connection will need to be boxed in waterprook junction boxes as bathroom can get very steamy.
Can anyone think of a solution with the fans and available for a job that would take at least 1/2 day.
Could take a bit longer than 1/2 a day. The work in the bathroom, which is classed as a special location and the LBC will need to be notified, and as such requires special attention to the electrical installation, there are Zoning requirements to consider as well. one main requirement is that all electrical work in the bathroom, and any cables feeding other circuits passing through the bathroom require RCD protection.
Is your Consumers Unit a modern type, does it have RCDs in it, you see how your 1/2 estimate is looking a bit silly now, your best bet would be, rather than trying to find a simple answer on an Electrical Forum,
ask for recommendations and quotations from a registered Electrician in your area.

Last edited:
I have:

Sounds like it will take more than 1/2 day, too many little jobs , plus notifiable.
Call a sparky and save you time writing on here.

Could take a bit longer than 1/2 a day. The work in the bathroom, which is classed as a special location and the LBC will need to be notified, and as such requires special attention to the electrical installation, there are Zoning requirements to consider as well. one main requirement is that all electrical work in the bathroom, and any cables feeding other circuits passing through the bathroom require RCD protection.
Is your Consumers Unit a modern type, does it have RCDs in it, you see how your 1/2 estimate is looking a bit silly now, your best bet would be, rather than trying to find a simple answer on an Electrical Forum,
ask for recommendations and quotations from a registered Electrician in your area.
Whoever you are, just to help you, don't use words such as "Silly" or you simply won't get any work anywhere. If there is a planet or island where electricians call clients silly or what they say and where clients call the electrician silly, please make sure you think about moving there for the best of good well educated people. Most appreciated. BTW yes it is a brand new consumer unit with brand new rcds and a 1.5 twin and earth cable going from it to the area where all the switches, transformers are and obiously outside the bathroom. Pete, please let it be, thanks.

Whoever you are, just to help you, don't use words such as "Silly" or you simply won't get any work anywhere. If there is a planet or island where electricians call clients silly or what they say and where clients call the electrician silly, please make sure you think about moving there for the best of good well educated people. Most appreciated. BTW yes it is a brand new consumer unit with brand new rcds and a 1.5 twin and earth cable going from it to the area where all the switches, transformers are and obiously outside the bathroom. Pete, please let it be, thanks.
I actually don't want any work Tony, I was just astounded at the misunderstanding about the work required ant the the time allotted to complete this work. Obviously if this has offended you in any way then so beit.

Tony if you can put a few pictures of the installed transformers and positions we may be able to help you more and it will open up useful discussions about what you will need to take to the electrician that will help you cover all of the issues you have.
Any more pictures of different areas will give us an overall sense of the work involved plus, of course, we are all a bit nosey as well.
Best regards

Reply to Need an Electrician familiar with extractor fans in Hackney E9 in the Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net