Discuss Needing NVQ 3 for Part P registration. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
It would appear from next year you need to have NVQ Level 3 to become Part P registered. Is this just to be classed as a supervisor or as a domestic installer as well?
Won't this lessen the chance of someone installing being registered?
I've done/doing 17th, Inspection & Testing and Design & Verification, is this no longer good enough to register?
I've not really got 3 years spare to do the NVQ, and if I did it would be on the HNC not the NVQ!

Last edited:
Just had an email back form one of the scheme providers saying pretty much the same.
Although they said you need the NVQ 3 OR 2 years experience working. Which would mean by the time you've put off the NVQ for 2 years you would have 2 years experience?!

According to Elecsa's Part P assessment guide the C&G 2382 is still sufficient to register

PartPQual.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Still makes me laugh every time I see the 17th being the only requirement to join a scheme

When I tell friends/family the requirements to work in someones house and what it takes to get them they're gobsmacked

2391 is currently a level 3 qualification.

From next year it is being phased out and replace with 2394 Initial Verification (Level 3), 2395 Periodic Inspection and Test (Level 3), and 2395 Design and certification (Level 4).

These along with the 2382 and 2377 are being aligned with all the other quals on the QCF (Qualification Credit Framework) this is the same line that a NVQ takes. So you will get credits for each part of the qualification that you do.

I cant remember the full works, i have left the C&G info at work, but i do know 2394 consist of 1 practical assessment, 1 written assessment and 1 online assessment.

All in all for 2394/5 and 6 there will be about 7 assessments in all to gain all 3 qualifications.

The 2382 regs course is staying fairly much the same, but the 2377 is being more formalised and will include a properly assessed practical assessment on both class 1 and 2 equipment including correctly completing the paperwork, an online assessment of 50 questions for 1hour 45 minutes, unlike the now 30 questions and a hour.

I will post more info as and when i get it

Cheers...........Howard

I found this, hope it clears things up.....

It has just been confirmed that the
current method for registering domestic installers will continue until April 2013. This provides more time for anyone looking to qualify under the current scheme to get trained in confidence that they will be able to progress their career following the training.

Also the new Domestic installers NVQ has been delayed until June 2012. You can find out more in this pdf here: http://uploads.cycleapp.com/gw4s35eg2n/file.pdf

Stu

Another waste of time and money then, The NVQ 3 is run by the colleges, depending on the one you go to it could take a week or a year. I had an apprentice that did it with a mate of thiers over a half term. They got a camera and some ppe and staged photos in one of thier homes. Two weeks later they had passed and still could not wire a 1 way lighting circuit or find a fault. Is the answer to have one uniformed body doing the assesment to make it fair to all?

I had been out of the trade for over 10 years and recently made redundant decided to look at going back to doing some house bashing. Was misinformed on the requirements and then went on a "Part P course?" and was quite shocked at some of the "trainees" hoping to become "qualified".

I found this, hope it clears things up.....

It has just been confirmed that the
current method for registering domestic installers will continue until April 2013. This provides more time for anyone looking to qualify under the current scheme to get trained in confidence that they will be able to progress their career following the training.

Also the new Domestic installers NVQ has been delayed until June 2012. You can find out more in this pdf here: http://uploads.cycleapp.com/gw4s35eg2n/file.pdf

Stu

Passed Elecsa assessment this morning and have been told this too.

The reply I got was "2013 if at all​"

Another waste of time and money then, The NVQ 3 is run by the colleges, depending on the one you go to it could take a week or a year. I had an apprentice that did it with a mate of thiers over a half term. They got a camera and some ppe and staged photos in one of thier homes. Two weeks later they had passed and still could not wire a 1 way lighting circuit or find a fault. Is the answer to have one uniformed body doing the assesment to make it fair to all?

Excellent point made flying ninja, I have read on here a few posts where people have stated that if you do the NVQ 3 then you don't need the AM2. My question would be can you wire a lighting circuit but if you can prove you have passed the AM2 i know that you can do it. Might seem a waste of money but it is a recognised qualification and well worth doing

So surprising this day in age that our trade qualification procedure is not simplified

Statutory courses to become "electrician", nothing more or nothing less to be covered over a set statutory period of time, each individual person assessed in the early stages of training, cause lets face it whenever you get an apprentice working with you, you can tell from day one which ones will excel and which wont, why waste your time and theirs.

The qualified ones should be put onto a national government register and whenever we need to carry out work make it mandatory to show your card to prove competancy, just like a driving license or passport

I tried to do a part P course when it came out and got told it wasn't for the likes of me because I had done a full apprenticeship etc and worked for an approved contractor.It was only for people who had not been trained as an electrician or were starting late ie job swapping.It had more to do with funding for "training non electricians" and taxing cowboys !! Well thats really worked then.

Reply to Needing NVQ 3 for Part P registration. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net