Discuss Neutral & live reverse polarity in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thank you so much for helping. Sorry if I’m being stupid, he would have switched the electrics off at the mains, and the mis-connection was between the fuse box & fit meter, so would he still have been at risk? It’s diy all the way here so he wouldn’t have actually checked if the socket was live once the mains were off...
If your husband had turned off the main switch, then that would switch off both live and neutral....but if he just turned off the smaller mcb for the sockets, that would have ONLY disconnected neutral (due to live/neutral reversed) so the socket would still be live, even though items plugged into the sockets no longer worked.

^^ if the house has a dual rcd configuration then turning off the one relevant to the circuit you want to fiddle with.

That said , this needs sorting and fast ...

I would suggest you persuade your husband to purchase a Fluke non-contact voltage tester (about £25) if he intends carrying any more DIY work.
There are cheaper versions about but I would not recommend them.

I think from the way the OPs first post reads, it has been sorted as it's mentioned that the solar guy came back to fix it, after EDF discovered the fault, I take it is was a different person to the one who installed panels?

Don't let them pass it off with a Sorry, it's an awful and unprofessional mistake that is dangerous and if at all tested would have been noticed. Shows lack of testing, carelessness and makes you wonder if the person who installed it even knew whay they were doing? What else have they done that's poor standard? Don't let the company away with it

In general everyday use as has already been stated there would be minimal risk from a reversed polarity, but serious risk if alterations were to take place to the installation.
Firstly I think the OP should contact the installer and see what they have to say and ascertain whether the correct certificates were supplied. The company should also be asked to pay for an independent check of the installation for your peace of mind.
Mistakes do happen with even the most professional companies, it's rare but sometimes circumstances intervene and things get missed that should be picked up. Despite all the condemnation there's not one electrician on here who at some point has not made a mistake that could have had dire consequences, we work with a lethal mix in a pressured world.

Don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but reversing polarity also increases the risk of fire in the event of a fault as Neutral (now live) to earth faults would not be protected by a fuse or circuit breaker.

Reply to Neutral & live reverse polarity in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net