Search the forum,

Discuss Neutrals at switches in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

If the installation is designed using plastic switches and an earthing terminal hasn't been provided on either the backbox or switchplate does that mean an earth shouldn't be taken to the switch at all? If manufacturers aren't providing us with earth terminals anymore maybe they're telling us they want us to revert to the old style method of not taking earths to switches.

What happens when the householder goes to B&Q and replaces said switch with a nice metal one?

If the installation is designed using plastic switches and an earthing terminal hasn't been provided on either the backbox or switchplate does that mean an earth shouldn't be taken to the switch at all? If manufacturers aren't providing us with earth terminals anymore maybe they're telling us they want us to revert to the old style method of not taking earths to switches.

Exactly, is there a 'common loop' terminal on an intermediate switch?

If the householder saw the need to replace the switch with a different type (ie metal rather than plastic) that would be bad planning on the part of the designer.

Why?? Because that is my honest opinion of this wiring method, so why would i change my opinion, certainly not going to change it based on what's been written here... And as i said, i'm not going to change your opinion, that this is a good wiring method, ...end of as far as i'm concerned!!!

As far as ''Surely you can see that pic of the switch was down to poor design as is the idea of 7 cables at a light, therefore that is not a reason to rubish this method.'' that to me, is just making excuses and ignoring the fact that this is exactly what's going on out there. As for the multiple cables at the light, I already stated i think, that the 7 cables thing was bad design at work...

We'll have to get the manufacters to lobby the IET to somehow change or remove reg 412.2.3.2 ;)

Though not a bad idea really, there is a few I'd like to change, perhaps we can start our own lobby

We'll have to get the manufacters to lobby the IET to somehow change or remove reg 412.2.3.2 ;)

Though not a bad idea really, there is a few I'd like to change, perhaps we can start our own lobby
Good plan - we could march on parliament. Maybe we could disrupt the royal wedding - there's still time! "No to 412.2.3.2!"

Why?? Because that is my honest opinion of this wiring method, so why would i change my opinion, certainly not going to change it based on what's been written here... And as i said, i'm not going to change your opinion, that this is a good wiring method, ...end of as far as i'm concerned!!!

As far as ''Surely you can see that pic of the switch was down to poor design as is the idea of 7 cables at a light, therefore that is not a reason to rubish this method.'' that to me, is just making excuses and ignoring the fact that this is exactly what's going on out there. As for the multiple cables at the light, I already stated i think, that the 7 cables thing was bad design at work...

Well you are entitled to your opinion but you can not back up your claim to it being bad practice so therefore it is wrong of you to say it is.

O.k so you also want to stop takeing CPC's to switches and when someone wants a chrome switch adding you tell them they need a rewire....Absolute nonsense....

And if you are wiring loops in switches you are always going to have CPC's there anyway...so bit of a numb nut scenario really wasn't it.

When did I say anything about not taking CPCs to switches? :rolleyes:

Tell me, what did your fail comment follow up....Mine and novus's discussion on removing cpc cables from switch's.....and why it is different having cpc's linked by a connector block and not neutrals aswell. Because neutrals needent be there and this only enforces the fact that there is not enough room at the switch because the CPC is already Connector blocked.

Major fail on your behalf

Last edited by a moderator:
O.k so you also want to stop takeing CPC's to switches and when someone wants a chrome switch adding you tell them they need a rewire....Absolute nonsense....

And if you are wiring loops in switches you are always going to have CPC's there anyway...so bit of a numb nut scenario really wasn't it.
Yes it is absolute nonsense - it makes about as much sense as not wanting to take a neutral to the switch because then the switch box would be a joint box.
Do you see? If you're connecting a cpc in there why not a neutral? Having everything in the switch pattress saves having to stuff it all behind a wall light together with a bit of connector block for a live loop.

There is one switch in a room whereas there might be 9 downlighters and maybe several wall lights to boot - trying to find which one the live loops in would be akin to a game of deal or no deal.

Reply to Neutrals at switches in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock