Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

3. Forum for Trainees.

If you are a trainee and haven’t already applied to join our trainee forum then click HERE The trainee forum is a closed area of the forum where the Forum Mentors will freely share their vast experience within the industry. 

Dismiss Notice

New Build

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum' started by Nemises, Feb 6, 2017.

Discuss New Build in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Nemises

Nemises EF Member

Hi guys,
    This as probably been done over and over but, basically I work for a firm, I'm fully qualified nvq3 and have the 2391. A relative has asked to wire a new build, I'm not sure if the firm I work for will let me do it through them? Would I need to notify building control or would it be ok as I would have carried the work and tested it all.

Thanks

2. hightower

hightower Guest

The work would require LABC notification, but I'm not sure whether it would fall under the whole build as LABC will be involved already with various aspects of the build. It would seem logical to me that if LABC are inspecting throughout for other aspects, that they would also inspect the electrical too.

But I'd be more worried about your firm's work first and foremost. Make sure it sits well with them before undergoing anything.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities Electrician's Arms

As Hightower has said, This is notifiable work. The new build will already have Building Notice, etc so there's no new paperwork there but, when the application was made, your relative will have said if he was going to use an electrician who is a member of one of the 'schemes'. You obviously are not.
    LABCs much prefer just getting an email from NICEIC, etc to say the work has been completed in accordance with the CPS rules. Anything else is extra work for them, and a risk.

So I suggest that you have a conversation with LABC to confirm that they are happy with your qualifications and would be prepared to accept an installation certificate from you. This is needed as confirmation that you have done the deisgn, installation and testing in accordance with BS7671. Otherwise your relative will never get Building Regs completion.

4. Nemises

Nemises EF Member

Thanks for your that guys, might just grovel to the boss will be easiest,

Cheers

5. ackbarthestar

ackbarthestar Forum Mentor

The LBA will ask your client for an EIC signed off by your self certification scheme provider.
    Usually, if you work for the larger new build electrical contractors they're not interested in one offs so they might just allow you to use their name, but don't bank on it.