Search the forum,

Discuss New consumer unit install issue. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The OP appears to have offered electrical services to a client, and got a friend electrician to do the work with him. The 'friend' has left faults on the installation, taken the money and run. The OP (a trainee) is now trying to fix the faults himself, a task which is clearly beyond his skill level.

Whilst unfortunate for the OP, he should be getting someone competent to complete the work, paid for out of his own pocket, and shouldn't be attempting it himself.

I do not believe we can offer any better advise than this.

I'm working with my friend a sparky. He changed the consumer unit.

No he's grabbed the money, ----ed off, saying he's busy.
Some friend and beginning to doubt he is a spark
Did he leave the EIC before he did one or is that something else that he is too busy for
Before hand I checked all circuits for continuity and done quick eicr, everything was OK.

Now with the new board on were getting a neutral fault showing on socket ring. Funny thing is the rcd manual test button isn't working. On the rcd coving the said ring. You think it could be something to do with this why showing a fault on ring. Thank you.
So did you do an EICR and all the tests and document them or was it just check for continuity
No I paid him. From my own pocket, the customer is going to pay me.
Looks like a lesson learned there as he has been paid and you are hoping the customer will pay you

My first thought is to thoroughly check the RCD including a ramp test, had quite a few over the last few years that have failed brand new out of the box with a 1x tripping current in excess of the 30ma

After that I wonder if you have trapped or damaged a cable while fitting the new CU

if OP was close to me, I'd go over and help him sort it all out. looks like he's bin dropped in the deep end without a life jacket. surely a member is in Jockland can give him some assistance. (he's not the Messiah, he's a naughty boy).

if OP was close to me, I'd go over and help him sort it all out. looks like he's bin dropped in the deep end without a life jacket. surely a member is in Jockland can give him some assistance. (he's not the Messiah, he's a naughty boy).
Scotland is a big place. A little more info from OP about roughly where he is could help. Of course he might be on the island that he's named after....

Cost and drive time are not really that interesting. I'm sure we would be interested in what the issue was though.
The rcd was done. Going on the messages I read i got there, done i.r. on each circuit >200. Disconnected the circuit, test button wouldnr work. Bought another rcd installed it, which cleared the fault. I've took the broken one back to Cef. He like cheers. Jobs done.

post #39 my friend. invoice in the post. ?
I want a cut!!

Post #6
Have you tried all circuits off and done an RCD test?
Post #10
1 - does the RCD work or not

Anyway OP I'm glad you got it sorted. Enjoy the cigar.
Just so you know, the reason we harped on about IR tests was that you said "Now with the new board on were getting a neutral fault showing on socket ring.". It seems that either that was a mistake or that pulling the sockets apart and putting back together solved that bit.
At least you have peace of mind there won't be a call back.

Reply to New consumer unit install issue. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back