Discuss new consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Geordie Spark - Grumpy, Old, Bald and Proud !!

grumpy, old, bald and pedantic.

Hey, Im doing a board change next week in a small block of flats. At the mains intake on ground floor there's 2No 3phase supplies. These obviously correspond to each flat and 1No landlords supply. Its quite interesting, cos two of the seals are missing, so I deduced these two flats have had new CUs fitted etc and therefore it would be a waste of time sticking a flyer or card through their letter box. So you see this seal cutting thing can be quite usefull in more ways than one.:ihih:

Haha or the seal fairy has already cut your seal and another for for a future spark in advance to prevent you braking the law!!

well zebra i got the same issue next week a cu change in dudley a block of flats so i,l be on the phone monday myself to try to isolate . without cutting seals so i,l let you no .theres two parts to the cu one for sockets and one for lighting and theres a gap of about 35 inchs between them so that should be fun .not going to fit in one booard like i wanted .

Jay The DNO won't prosecute for cutting seals (extracting electricity they will), because if they lost the court case RE: fitting Isolators to every house in the land as a precedent may be set forcing them to, as you pointed out would cost them a fortune, this is a risk they will not take for a prosecution of criminal damage to the seal, as against live working, cutting the seal is a "lesser crime".
Proving it is another matter.

At the same time they may not actually condone it (cutting seals) in case someone gets injured leaving them open to being sued, but most turn a blind eye, some even issue temporary seals to registered contractors.

I had a handful of the genuine article given to me by one of the DNO's blokes who told be just to crack on and do it myself next time.

I cheekily asked him if he had a spare pair of sealing pliers ........ He didn't.

well zebra i got the same issue next week a cu change in dudley a block of flats so i,l be on the phone monday myself to try to isolate . without cutting seals so i,l let you no .theres two parts to the cu one for sockets and one for lighting and theres a gap of about 35 inchs between them so that should be fun .not going to fit in one booard like i wanted .

Well, as Spinks so rightly points out, I wont need to make a phone call as the fairys always appear every time Im near, just like me they want to be close to me....or something like that

Geordie, I've just noticed you're way over 6000 posts now.
It only seems like yesterday you were hassling to get in the 3000+ club with less than 3000.

GS, Posting garbage since January 2011.
Looks like I've got some catching up to do! :smilielol5:

Aye ... and now that I'm in the damn' 3,000+ club I'm wondering if it was worth the effort (and bribe to Marvo) What a damp squib that's turned out to be!!

look on ebay you can buy them i got 100 seals and i use my own crimpers , but thats for private meters .

I did look on Ebay - many times, but these's a snowflake in Hell's chance of me BUYING seals when I could blag them!!

You're quite new to the trade aren't you bonny lad - it shows - but you'll soon learn, ;)

Knowledge was literally beaten into one on many occasions! :)

Me too.

The cane, the strap, gym slipper - even the blackboard ruler and blackboard duster. If teachers behaved that way today, they'd end-up in jail but it worked for me. I hated those teachers at the time, but if I could meet them now I would shake their hands and thank them.

When I started my apprenticeship I thought the foreman was a right barstool who had it in for me. It seemed that no matter what I did I couldn't do right for doing wrong.

It got so bad I went for an interview as a grass cutter with the local council. I got the job, but had second thoughts and turned it down & persevered with my apprenticeship.

20 years later when I had my own business I wanted some special tooling made and I went to him - he had become the boss by then as THE boss had died - and got him to do it and I thanked him for the bloody good training he gave me. We became good friends after that.

Reply to new consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net