Discuss Newbie to the forum, please be gentle..... in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I cannot believe it can be a good thing to do it in 4 weeks.

The course/s are only to get you past the city & Guilds exams, it doesn’t mean I’m experienced in any way, shape or form, the learning of experience starts now, I’m not gonna take anything for granted and will keep my feet firmly on the ground and not take anything on that’s above my head or experience level, until I believe I’m capable of completing it properly. I’ve always done my own electrics and along with my 2 brothers, we’ve always fitted our own kitchens over the years, just thought it was time for a change and opted for electrics ad I class it as “clean” trade.

Please explain 40x25 trunking, double backed tape and toilet roll, peaks my interest somewhat.
That time when you need to ‘adapt’ to get the job done. Not wanting to lower the aesthetic standards of your work and hoping that a roll of Cushelle will add that ‘class’ to the install!
YOU WEREN’T THERE MAN!

What do they actually teach on these 4 week courses?

Welcome to the forum :)
bloody obvious........ 101 uses for bog roll (other than the obvious).

your starter for 10.....:

1. in conjunction with electrician's tape, stops bleeding when you nick your arm or whatever on something sharp.

You seem to have the right idea regarding gaining experience, because without it, you will fall flat on your face. As stated on other forums, qualifications mean f##k all, if you don't know how to put them into practice. I have a lad that works with us who is a fireman and can end up with spare time, and is about to do his NV3 in elec inst. He will make it, because he has had onsite experience throughout his education. Keep it up, and you will make it.

Hi guys

My names Dave (Fitzy), been lurking on forum for a while, reading as many posts as I could to gauge how you all interact etc. Some of you will hate me because I done a 4 week course with Trade Skills 4 U to become a domestic installer. I know I have a huge learning curve to overcome to gain experience, but I’m willing to learn and I always embrace criticism, good or bad, it’s what defines us. So please be gentle with me, I will be asking questions, but only if I can’t find the right answer using the search facility.
Why doesn't he update his profile then? first thing I do is check, simple task really isn't it?

The course/s are only to get you past the city & Guilds exams, it doesn’t mean I’m experienced in any way, shape or form, the learning of experience starts now, I’m not gonna take anything for granted and will keep my feet firmly on the ground and not take anything on that’s above my head or experience level, until I believe I’m capable of completing it properly. I’ve always done my own electrics and along with my 2 brothers, we’ve always fitted our own kitchens over the years, just thought it was time for a change and opted for electrics ad I class it as “clean” trade.

I've seen and heard of courses where they teach you to just pass the exams while missing out the wider underpinning knowledge needed to properly operate as an electrician.
It begs the question can you really condense the approximately 25 weeks (18o ish 9 hour days over 5 years) I and many others did at college into a 4 week course then of course there was the onsite training on top
I think you have barely scratched the surface with your training

Reply to Newbie to the forum, please be gentle..... in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net