Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss NICEIC Upgrade in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. uksparks

uksparks Electrician's Arms

Hi,

Just thought id let you know I have just booked to upgrade my NICEIC membership to Approved :)

I can remove those god awful DI signs off my van then!

2. Jdsparky

Jdsparky Regular EF Member

You don't have to put the signs on the van, the main thing is that your registered with someone doesn't matter who and what they call you

3. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

OMG What next

4. uksparks

lol, makes me look less of a cowboy.

5. a1colly

a1colly Regular EF Member

Don't think my horse can take another rebranding!!!

6. Guest77

Guest77 Guest

Well you will get some bashing for this thread for sure, but not from me. If you become an Approved contractor and get 5 million PL insurance and adhere to all the rules they have, plus join the ECA and construction line and start pricing commercial works you may well become a decent electrical contractor who gains respect and merit. It is tough out there for proper companies and as you are intending to leave the DI system which is a total farce and move up the ladder Uk sparks I genuinely wish you the very best of luck and success, please try to employ apprentices if your company does grow and put something back into the industry, good luck and my best wishes.

7. uksparks

Thank you MDJ, I do intend to still do a lot of Domestic work, but its going to help me get a foot in the door with more Commercial stuff, plus I wont look like a DI plonker who may also me a 5WW. Just makes me a little more credible. I have got a lad I have taken on, and he is certainly staying with me for the foreseeable future.

8. D Skelton

D Skelton Fidei Defensor Trusted Advisor

Just as many 5WWs with AC status. It means diddly squat. Chequebook competence is all it is. Pay a little more and have AC on yer van instead of DI. Me, well, if they want me to display their logo on my van, they're gonna have to pay for the advertising space!!

• Like Like x 2
  9. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

So you chose to support the parasite of the industry rather than fighting them?

10. R G

R G Guest

All you need is a sticker on the van and a sucker to sit in it .....

11. GMES

GMES Chief Gorilla Staff Member Trusted Advisor

I can see this thread getting Messy, NIceic+Beer+friday night= FUN

12. Badged01

Badged01 DIY

Interesting concept that you somehow become more 'competent' and less of a 'cowboy' going from 'DI' to 'Contractor'.

Has your baseline electrical skill set changed to enable you to do this upgrade, or do you still change a plug the same way?!?

• Like Like x 2
  13. uksparks

I'd been waiting to get my 2395 result as they wouldn't take me without it.

I appreciate it's all a ECM, but at the end of the day, if I am not in one, I won't be doing much work and won't be able to notify for a quid...

i agree that there probably is a lot a AC who are cowboys, but I'm sure you will agree that it looks better than it saying "Domestic Installer"

14. uksparks

I think my view and possibly a lot of others is that if you are AC not DI then you are probably at a better level and possibly less likely to be a 5WW. Everyone on here slates domestic installers and says how you are either approved or not, so my view is that I don't want to be associated with the term domestic installer.

15. D Skelton

I'm not in one and I'm happy. Got work coming out me ears! And guess how much it costs me to notify work in a commercial premesis???

Sack jhit!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Archy Styrigg

Archy Styrigg Electrician's Arms

You were in the past though! :)

What's with the Part P logo on your website?!?!?!

17. D Skelton

No no no, you're either QUALIFIED or you're not. There isn't such a thing as a domestic installer, it's just a meaningless badge given to you be a corporate entity, just as meaningless as being given an approved contractor badge by the same cartel. The only approved contractor is a JIB one.

18. Badged01

Badged01 DIY

Now you're talking. If you can grasp the intricacies of electronic counter measures this electrical stuff is a piece of p*ss!

Depends how much you are driven by the image. If you are competent and capable .......

19. D Skelton

You don't have to be in a scam to comply with an unrelated approved document! Lol

20. Archy Styrigg

Have Part A to Z then. :)

21. D Skelton

Haha!

Part U, for useless!

22. uksparks

I accept what you are saying, but a large portion of my work is domestic and currently notifying two jobs a week on verge, notifiable stuff, so not being in a scam wouldn't relly work, but if you are just doing industrial or commercial you have more scope to say you don't want to be in one.

I suppose then in your eyes I'm not qualified because I don't have a plastic card saying JIB on it, I do actually qualify for one so perhaps should get one to satisfy your criteria for being qualified.

23. uksparks

I have the part p logo on my van and site because it's what people relate to and want to see, yes it's crazy, but it works for me.

24. D Skelton

I never said you need a JIB card to be qualified, I said that they are the only people that can baadge someone as an approved electrician and it actually mean something.

25. Richo77

Richo77 Regular EF Member

I'm with a Niceic as a domestic installer, just because some clients think that the Niceic is the be all and end all. Refuse to pay an extra £200 to be an approved contractor. I'm JIB approved so know I can carry out all work with my knowledge and experience. Got the Niceic sticker on the van, because the general public don't know the difference. They just like to see it. The electrical industry and how the Niceic portray to the public is a total farce!!

26. Archy Styrigg

Happen, but you don't need it for Commercial/Industrial.

27. davesparks

My first. 2 years as a self employed spark I didn't register with any scam and did lots of notifiable jobs without notifying them. I explained it to the clients before starting any work and they'd never heard of part p and didn't want anything to do with it!
    I'm still waiting for the part P police to come knocking on my door!

I registered with ELECSA last October as I had a few jobs on the horizon which LABC were involved with so I thought it would be easier to get registered to notify them.
    I have seen no benefit from being registered with them, no extra work has come through their register of contractors or whatever it is, only a few nuisance sales calls!
    I still don't notify most jobs I do, only the ones where LABC are involved.

And still the part P police haven't come knocking on my door!

• Like Like x 1
  28. uksparks

So what you are saying is you are doing notifiable work and not notifying it... Hmmm can't say as I agree with your method.

29. D Skelton

It's not his responsibility to notify.

30. uksparks

its not exactly great though when you are doing work for someone where LABC are involved and you say sorry but i can do it but it will cost £200. Its wrong not to notify work that's notifiable, its also unethical to pass the buck on to the customer and say its their responsibility.

31. D Skelton

But it is their responsibility, being a member of a scam is just one way of making it more convenient for the customer. Any domestic work I'm involved with where LABC are involved as well doesn't cost me a cent. They are automatically notified of the work prior to starting as part of the plans submitted and as long as the job is being carried out by a competent person and certified to that end, the electrical work will be covered in the scope of the building regulations compliance notice that is handed to the customer upon completion of the work.

People want to dress up unregistered electricians in many different ways. They like to tell us that we are cowboys, that we are buck passing, that we cost more as direct notification costs hundreds of pounds, that we're not professional etc etc...

The fact is, it's all sull bhit. I work to the same regs as you fella, that is all. I just don't let corporate theft by a bunch of weaseling little scumbags get in the way of my work.

Never in the history of the human race has being an affiliate of a private members club bestowed any more legitimacy or validity upon an individual.

32. uksparks

I completely accept and agree with what you are saying. In my experience I find people say can you notify the job etc, maybe I have just has some anal clients. Anyway.. for me being part of the scam works fine and am happy to pay, maybe if you have been doing this for donkeys years and have a good client base you can justify not paying, but for someone who's relatively new to it, I feel it works ok.

33. davesparks

Don't just be blindly led by clients, use your own brain! Read the rules, talk to your LABC and sort it out.

It's no more unethical for me not to notify work than it is for a bunch of money grabbers to masquerade as a charity and take honest peoples money and do nothing for it!

• Like Like x 1
  34. Badged01

Badged01 DIY

Unethical, maybe, maybe not. Illegal Yes? -- unless you have an alternative means of notifying 'notifiable work' without having hoodwinked the client into being responsible for it!? (I guess that would be unethical!)

35. davesparks

In what way has a client been hoodwinked into being responsible?
    Notification for all building regulations is the responsibility of the person ordering the work. Does a builder apply for planning permission before even quoting for a job???

As I said, after three years of not notifying I have yet to meet the part P police.
    I have put right the dangerous work of fully registered part P idiots though on many occasions!

Maybe one day they will arrest me for carrying out safe electrical work complete with certificates, I'll be site to let you know when they do ;)

• Like Like x 1
  36. D Skelton

Get that bee out of your bonnet about this whole 'illegality' thing will you!

I'm going to guess that you're older than I, if so, how many people do you know that actually paid their poll tax???

I don't know any! My father was a police officer at the time and even he refused to pay!

Illegal or not illegal who cares, that isn't the point here.

The only way we get things done in this world is by sticking our middle finger up to those who wish to hamper us! As long as your actions don't directly or indirectly harm another, screw the law!

• Like Like x 1
  37. davesparks

If nobody ever prosecutes the installers who carry out downright dangerous work and expose their clients to a risk of electric shock then who on earth is going to prosecute me for carrying out work to the best of my ability and in compliance with the regulations?

• Like Like x 1
  38. Badged01

Badged01 DIY

Couldn't agree with you more but once we start on the slippery slope of deciding which laws we choose to follow and which we don't then where do we end up? Anarchy?

I'm a great believer in change the process/law or follow it ....... if enough people stuck their middle finger up and did that then the problem would be resolved (possibly!!)

p.s. I paid the poll tax and now pay the council tax even though I resent it as I see no improved service year upon year but I keep paying more!

39. D Skelton

No my friend. Democracy.