Discuss no cpc in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

teknojon

hi - just changed some light fittings for a customer, tested and found no continuity from phase to earth. checked the CU - (earth present) and found a box above it containing 2 core and earth choc blocked to 2 core no earth. presumably when the last CU change (looks like eighties) they simply connected to the old non-earthed cabling.
so - can i leave this as is and change the metallic fittings to plastic - or should i insist on earthing the whole lighting (circuits) - not checked the extent of the lack of earthing between lighting yet.
also - much more worrying, the 1x ringmain for the house (except the new kitchen ring installed during the dodgy 80's extension ) is again connected by 2 x 2c+e to 2 core. there is a cpc apparently connected to the garage consumer unit and hence back to the CU via the armoured cable's earth.
the ring is therefore earthed, back to the MET (unless the armoured cable fails) - so, should i recommend connecting each end of the ring direct back to the CU with new 2.5 mm 2 c+e (assuming there is earthing between the sockets themselves (have taken a couple of facias off and found cpc there)?
the current cu has 1 RCCB / isolator.
i don't want to have to disrupt too much decoration.

doing a proper check next week

any ideas would be great

ta

jon

hi - just changed some light fittings for a customer, tested and found no continuity from phase to earth. checked the CU - (earth present) and found a box above it containing 2 core and earth choc blocked to 2 core no earth. presumably when the last CU change (looks like eighties) they simply connected to the old non-earthed cabling.
so - can i leave this as is and change the metallic fittings to plastic - or should i insist on earthing the whole lighting (circuits) - not checked the extent of the lack of earthing between lighting yet.

Assuming that you have no presence of CPC conductors at the fittings, then you can follow the methods as illustrated in the best practice guide on this topic.

also - much more worrying, the 1x ringmain for the house (except the new kitchen ring installed during the dodgy 80's extension ) is again connected by 2 x 2c+e to 2 core. there is a cpc apparently connected to the garage consumer unit and hence back to the CU via the armoured cable's earth.
the ring is therefore earthed, back to the MET (unless the armoured cable fails) - so, should i recommend connecting each end of the ring direct back to the CU with new 2.5 mm 2 c+e (assuming there is earthing between the sockets themselves (have taken a couple of facias off and found cpc there)?
the current cu has 1 RCCB / isolator.
i don't want to have to disrupt too much decoration.

doing a proper check next week

any ideas would be great

ta

jon

(R1&R2) tests should solve this problem. Either you have them or you don't, if not then necessary measures will need to be taken.

cheers for the reply

i simply don't know the extent of the earthing from the original wiring. the older part of the house has no earthing to the cu. the loft conversion builders of the 80's must have earthed the old house ring back to the garage cu, but phase and neutral to the house cu. dodgy bit of wiring that does leave the sockets with earth at least. i very much doubt that there will be any cpc's between the sockets, except perhaps if someone's added to or spurred. the customer has been warned that i may need to at least partially re-wire.
how safe is the current instal tho? it's earthed.

as for the lights - when working in the loft space i found newer cable with cpc. so at some point there is none - also took one switch cover off - no cpc. there could be alot of work and damage here to remedy. would class 2 fittings resolve this satisfactorily?

not that i don't want to do all the work - rewire 2 lighting circs and a ring, just wanted to give the fella options, they aren't wealthy and i'd like to safely make the house compliant at lowest cost ideally.

i'm back there later this week for a full check and, as i said, would like to offer options

ta

Class II fittings will solve your problem on the lighting yes, but really if you have found all these other problems you have a care of duty to advise the customer that there is a good chance that the installation is not safe.

I know in todays market money is tight, but you are honest and I'm sure you are not going to take advantage. If it were me I would suggest a ful PIR to be done, as you have done quite a bit of the survey by the sounds of things you could quote a competative price. Advise them that whatever remedial work is needed, you will quote for it, and will deduct a percentage of the PIR cost from the quote if the work was given to you.

I think this way is fair, it will show them your fair, and you will not be out of pocket.

thanks malcolm
- you sound an honest fella like me

Cheers Jon, though never helped me to much when I had to wind down my compnay :D, but thats another story. but I find that being honest usually pays, helps you sleep at night, and I'm a great believer that what goes round comes round.

All the best mate glad there are sill good guys out there in our industry.

Reply to no cpc in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net