Discuss Non-Electrician Need Safety Advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

TATA

-
Reaction score
Hi. Yesterday I got electrocuted when getting out of one of those inflatable Lay-Z Spas and had to go to hospital. I am fine, thank goodness, but I am now trying to address this with Bestway who manufacture these products. They asked me to take photos of the set up I had (plugged directly in to a mains socket, as they advise) and said that they will need to test the socket, so it got me thinking...I fed the lead in to my kitchen and plugged it in to one of the sockets there and there was no indication of voltage in the water when I used my voltstick. When I plugged it back in to my conservatory socket where it had always been however, the voltstick lit up! I have recently moved in to my house and now that I have been here a few months I have started to realise that the painter/decorator who lived here before fancied himself as a bit of a jack-of-all-trades. I think he built the conservatory himself and now also think he wired it himself, as that socket causes my spa water to be electrified!

Where I am more confused though, is that Bestway state that their spas have built-in RCDs that will cut power in the event that water becomes electrified and also if there is some sort of power fault. So even though I seem to have a faulty socket, should the RCD still have prevented the water electrocuting me? I just wanted some professional advice before taking this further, as I can see them trying to use the socket fault as a way to wriggle out of responsibility, or maybe they would be justified in doing so? I just have no idea - any insight is greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: They have sent me an email with the following:

"All of our Lay-Z-Spa comes with an RCD either built into the pump, the cable or the plug which is a safety device which is designed to prevent you from getting a harmful electric shock. You can read more about RCDs at this link. The RCD that we use in our spas is very sensitive – 10 mA cut out which eliminates the risk of a harmful electric shock.

For Lay-Z-Spas made in 2016 and 2017 the pump includes a grounding system, which is double insulated and links all of the electrical parts of the pump directly to the grounding of the electrical system of the house (known as a class I electrical product). The spa therefore relies on the earthing arrangements that you have in the property (and the electrical socket you are using) are up to the required standard.

We would like to arrange to send you a plug-in socket tester. This will provide some indication on the status of the plug being used."

hi, i have a similar spa. it has a RCD built into the lead. if you look, about a few inches from the plug ( the main one, not the elv for the lights) there's a big black lump. it's a 10mA RCD. with the lead plugged in ( to your kitchen) press the test button on the lump. it should trip. in theory, this RCD should prevent any shock levels that could cause injury. however, my take would be that you have fauly wiring in the conservatory, and you 1st call should be to get an electrician to investigate. whereabouts are you. 1 of us may be close.

Bearing in mind your comments about the electrical wiring in the house, I would get an electrician in to some testing using appropriate equipment. It does sound like something is amiss, and the shock you have already had proves that this testing needs to be done urgently.

Thanks for the fast replies. I am especially keen on the Mother-in-Law suggestion! I unscrewed the faceplate and this is what I saw. There is an earth connected to the socket by the looks of it, but then another loose earth on the left - does that suggest that what they are saying about relying on the property's earthing means it isn't their fault?

IMAG0627.jpg

Looks like short wire is the flylead which connects the metal back box to the earth on the face plate. Does it look like it's been cut? I only ask as it looks a bit short.

You still need to get an electrician in to do some testing though.

the fly lead to the back box was once obligatory, but now optional. should not affect safety. the problem may be upstream of that socket. as requested previous post you location.

edit: and although a voltstick is a useful tool , used correctly, it is only a rough guide and should not be relied upon where safety is paramount. ( in short, give it to a plumber to play with. make sure he wets it before use)

Do not rely on that voltstick as a method of indicating, well, anything really.
Any electrical work should be carried out with a two probe voltage tester, and some knowledge of how to use it.

PS
Yesterday I got electrocuted
No you didn't. Not unless there is an internet connection in the after-life!

disclaimer. any plumbers that do use a wet voltstick, such use is entirely at their own risk.

think he means he got a shock. pedantically you are right. electrocuted means dead. (dissassmble).

• Doesn't look like its been cut at all.
  • Voltstick only used as work make me use it before I touch anything metallic. I know they're naff, but just was curious as to presence of voltage in the water.
  • 'Electrocuted', 'zapped', 'shocked' or whatever - I am no electrician, but I definitely felt it when I stepped out and my dog felt it when he came up to me and touched me with his nose before I got out :D
Cheers for all the contributions. Definitely seems like something wrong behind the scenes with the earth connection in that part of the house. Suppose I'll wait for them to send out the socket tester and see what it tells me! Then get a sparky out when I have some money!

hi, i have a similar spa. it has a RCD built into the lead. if you look, about a few inches from the plug ( the main one, not the elv for the lights) there's a big black lump. it's a 10mA RCD. with the lead plugged in ( to your kitchen) press the test button on the lump. it should trip. in theory, this RCD should prevent any shock levels that could cause injury. however, my take would be that you have fauly wiring in the conservatory, and you 1st call should be to get an electrician to investigate. whereabouts are you. 1 of us may be close.
I think I have seen your front garden........

Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 12.10.20.jpg

@TATA can i ask a question.
From your last post, am I right in thinking you received this shock when you got out of the SPA ?
What i mean was when you got shocked was one part of your body touching the water the other directly touching the ground (wet foot on grass) ?

Its very important that you arrange a qualified electricain to test this for you.

Last edited:
If you found the earth cable from the backbox loose inside there when you opened it, then it is possible that it could have made contact with the live terminal when it was all squashed in. If the other end of the earth connected to the socket front isnt properly connected, then it is possible the backbox became live, and then connected to the faceplate earth through the screws, which in turn could have made something in the pump case live if it is class I. This would have made the water live, creating a potential between the water and the ground.

Whilst this sounds unlikely to have that many faults, one of them is clearly visable there, and the other one (lack of earth) is not that uncommon.

Either way, if you recieved a shock serious enough to send you to hospital, and you think the wiring is suspect anyway, you should have it inspected ASAP. It sounds unlilely to be a fault with the spa if the RCD is functioning correctly.

Reply to Non-Electrician Need Safety Advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net